Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Not quite sure I follow on what the LC1 will do without tuning and how it works with a computer programmed to function with a narrow band O2, is it taking a reading and sending the computer a fake signal to get the desired AFR?

Yes, the LC1 wide-bands have an programmable output emulate a narrow-band. You can keep output strictly to emulate the narrow band signal or skew it in any way you want. including for e85 (would need a tune unless flexfuel). **The skew would only ever affect part throttle closed loop.** Somewhere more than part throttle the PCM uses tables and your going to get a programed/modeled AFR regardless. Data-logging from from the wideband will help you determine those points and actually tell you if its getting too lean/rich and where. At WOT in your combination, your PCM never did have any idea where AFR is and it wouldn't even if the engine was completely stock. Seriously. There are actually a couple outputs on the LC1, e.g. you can send an output to a gauge or datalogger like a diablo trinity while still using the narrow band emulator for the PCM.

You mentioned e85; you will need to do your own math to figure at what price-point that makes any sense and a wideband (unless your PCM is flexfuel compatible). Its not likely, but it might be if cheap enough.

I understand about the cat over temp, I am not too worried about the cats honestly, selling them will just about pay for a set of long tube headers...

My point is that the PCM literally has no idea they exist and will dump raw fuel anyways in certain situations...ALOT of fuel actually. Speaking of the catalytic, this is oversimplified but the downstream o2 sensor exists to know if the catalytic is 'working'. It tests for a difference in O2 from the upstream sensor before the catalytic vs after. The only way to get a less free o2 in that measurement is for there to be unburnt fuel going into the catalytic . Burning more of that fuel in the engine will get more MPG... and possibly higher egts

I really wish I could afford tuning the truck

Seems like you spent plenty on whatever this experiment is. I'm just trying to enable you to finish it out.

Last edited by Trojmn; 11/11/21 11:58 PM.