IMHO, you find them in Heavy Duty apps. more often, every police car 318/360 headed 4v engine I have torn down has had a windage tray in it. from a 80-89 and I had about 20 of them since 1980. I have only found it on HD service engines.

and all of them had some interesting pieces that go along with them that I have not seen or been able to buy when rebuilding them.

on the oiling system it has the oil cooler with these factory pieces in the engine every time.

full groove main bearings for full time oiling to the rod bearings

#2 & #4 cam bearing have a full oil groove for full time oiling to rockers

factory windage tray

factory oil cooler- hollow fuel pump bolt for return oil/timing chain oiling

double roller t chain - with oil slinger

so IMHO I think they used them for more longevity/oil control for long idle times and HP gains are a plus with it. I have read the 318 police engine 360 heads/4v q-jet -flat tappet cam rated @177HP over a 2v/tbi roller cam 318 with small port heads rated @150HP (why I like them)

not sure when the early LA roller cam engines went from a non oil through roller lifter/sold push rod combo to the oil through/hollow push rod but I did notice when they oiled both LA rocker shaft & roller lifter hollow PRs they all tend to have massive VC leaks on daily drivers. mostly the 89-91 LA roller cam engines. I assume they were tooling up for the magnum engine 92-93 as early magnums did have the block drilled for LA style rocker oiling but blocked by head gasket.

not sure what went into a HP engine that came with a windage tray? did it also have some special piece inside as well?

what about racing engines when the oiling mods are performed on a engine and trays are used? drilling it 1/2" from pump/cap/block/full groove bearings - 4 extra oil filter plate holes - oil galleys drilled 9/32" restrictors in the rocker shaft oiling feed?

I would think with all those mods a tray is mandatory or just rule of thumb when building?