Originally Posted by dvw
Last years NMCA race at Us 131. Final round in N/SS. I have had good lights all day. Car has been deadly on its 9.25 index. Its close to 11:30pm. I'm in the left lane for the first time in eliminations and its pitch black out. So I plan to be conservative. My opponent Bruce Lang is tough. He just ran dead on in the semi's at 9.75 index. Its a quick turn around. The oil is warm so it's going to pick up. I add some weight to run dead on 9.25. As many know my car is a pushbutton shift. I shift with my thumb while grasping the bottom of the bezel with my other 4 fingers. Except this weekend. I have 5 stitches in the tip of my index finger with a huge dressing from smashing it in a car door 3 days before. So that finger has to point out and I'm shifting with the side of my thumb. The tree comes down and we're of. All is good until the 1/2 shift. My thumb slips between the 1st and 2nd gear buttons missing 2nd. It hits the limiter as I fumble the shift. The 2/3 is good and I'm running up on him. I can tell no way I'm going to catch him. His car is a fastback 68 Cuda. Quickly thinking it's got to tough looking back on the left side thru the C pillar because its so long. I pull up in his blind spot and hang there. He takes the stripe by a car. My win light comes on. He's 9.73x on a 9.75. As we talk about it afterwards. Bruce says: "My car had just run dead on. I saw you coming like a bat out of hell. Then in the dark I lost you. Couldn't lift as you were hauling. So I drove it thru". How did i think to do that so quick? Who knows. Sometimes you get lucky.
Doug

Ha good job quick thinking like that....Always have to be thinking from the time the tree drops till the time the win light comes on. Guys with the funny car cages and window nets also struggle with that too.

I had a good one earlier this year where we had a problem with the car in the lanes that got me flustered, and I pulled out on the track in a hurry and didn't reset the box from a slower car the round before. I hit the tree and the car just sat there. Not the first time I did that over the years either lol. The guy in the other lane was dialed 4.82 and never touched the brake, running 4.78.....I am coasting down the track watching this all transpire and just coasted across the finish line for the win.....

Luck does take you pretty far sometimes.

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174