Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by moparx
very good discussion guys ! i am learning things as well as confirming things i have thought about for many years.
i have always liked higher engine temperatures [200-205f] than most, but sometimes i have difficulty getting the correct distributor curves [mechanical as well as vacuum advance] for the particular application.
having said that, i realize today's factory high horsepower is all fuel injection computer controlled, as well as using higher engine temperatures, but if using carburetor[s], a knock sensor [or two] plus a retard box is the correct way to go, correct ?
please help me understand how these retard boxes work with knock sensors. the only one i'm even slightly familiar with is the MSD box with the dial on the face, and as i understand it, that unit just pulls timing at a preset rpm ? can it even work with knock sensors ? shruggy
my foggy old brain needs some assistance here. TIA ! bow
beer

Drop your coolant temp 40 degrees, block of any heat to the intake manifold, use a quality annular booster and a relatively high compression pump gas engine will make way more power.

heat is always blocked no matter what intake is used. i have experimented with coolant temperatures between 180-210f, and it doesn't seem to be much difference. what i have noticed, however, is gas mileage is noticeably better at 205 than at 180. these are street/some strip engines. i know mileage means nothing in this discussion, but could that mean a better combustion process at elevated temperatures due to me NOT correctly putting a package together, or choosing wrong components ?
i have never asked anyone about choosing a cam, although i like around 240-270 duration @.050. just because that's the way i have always done it. also 3.90 to 4.30 gear sets with a 3000-4000 converter stall so the engine doesn't lug.
it now comes down to ignition timing, carb tuning, and exhaust experimentation. i realize when a guy can hear a "ping" inside, there is more happening inside the engine that is not good. this now brings this "old duma$$" to think about knock sensors, retard timing, and coolant temperatures.
thank you mr. mad scientist, for taking the time to help me get my head around the items i have been screwing up all these past years ! bow
beer