Originally Posted by moparjim79
I was incredibly fortunate. After I removed the heads/pushrods/lifter packs, I used a borescope to check the cam lobe condition which was almost new looking. I also pulled the oil control valve and it was 100% free of metal shavings/debris. I replaced the cylinder 2/4 pack and all was well. Just an fyi, it did throw an mds solenoid code and very seldom threw a cyl 4 misfire code(the mds cylinder). My push to open the top end up was the aforementioned clacking that one day did not got away after start up and immediately threw a cyl 4 code, and made the vehicle run like poop. Doing an MDS DELETE, even if you do it yourself, even if you buy all your parts from a place like mopar parts direct.com, will still put you damn near if not well over the $2k mark. Anyone is free to try to argue, but once you tally up everything including securing a handheld and a tune, you'll see its probably closer to $3k. If you have the funds available I would totally go mds delete. I know HOTRODDAVE and I have our own opinions about this, but thats my opinion.

I guess a good question to you would be what is your intended usage?
Good info thank you. Daily drive usage no track time. More power always nice but no lopey idle wanted and a little less gas mileage is okay if it's believed that dumping MDS to go with different cam and lifters extends durability. I know that opens a whole new argument with many. Gotten more info on this car and it did clack badly at one start up, CEL came on (related???) and showed misfire cyl 4 and 7. No other misfires. I don't mind putting $3k ish into it and having a sturdy 5.7.

Facts are stubborn things.