Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ

I can see why they would just cut the frame rails in a salvage yard to pull the engine, it would be far easier to do to get the engine and trans out.

It makes me wonder though if the owners of the junkyards are bothered by the practice. Yeah, they get a sale but in the process, sometimes fenders get sawed through along with other collateral damage.

I was out there in the mix today. I had help today getting a rear axle out of a truck. For you east coast guys, you'd wig out at what we have out here. Clean, dry parts that barely need any help to remove. A few spritzes of PB Blaster and a short breaker bar and *CRACK* the nuts came loose. Hardware can usually be used again. Getting the axle out was easy. The truck had NO bed on it so access was great.
Then.....
These axles are heavy! I've pulled and bought several 8 1/4" and 8 3/4" axles and hauled them myself. I can lift and move them with a little bit of grunting. This is a 9 1/4" truck unit with rotors and calipers. The axle tubes are 3 1/2", maybe bigger. While loading, my buddy slipped and fell....injuring his knee. I had to take a board from the back of another truck and break it down for him to use as a crutch. I helped him out, loaded the tools and was aiming to just leave the axle where it was. It was on HIS wheelbarrow though. I helped him to the truck and put the tools away. On his insistence, I went back and wheeled the axle up to the building, paid for it and plan to return for it tomorrow. My buddy and I are even now....In 2016 I hurt my back helping him load a front and rear axle from a truck that he parted out!