Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Thank you. I've never warmed up to the Viper V 10 engine. They sound terrible to me.
This is still a truck I use for construction work and commuting is still a reality. I'm toying with retiring but will still do some part time stuff. I need to keep the fuel economy over 15-16 mpg freeway. Currently I can get close to 20 if I'm on flat ground and under 70. If I have a nice power increase, I could deal with a 16 number!
I like the idea of a stroke. The engine would have more low end grunt with that. I've read of guys selling the SRT and Scat Pack 6.4 exhaust manifolds when they install headers. I wonder what the gains would be though. For comparison, a 360 didn't gain much when going from 273-318 manifolds to the 68-70 340 manifolds...A magazine article showed it to be approx 7 hp on a mild 360. Maybe the gains on a 5.7 Hemi might be more?

" I spent some time in DodgeTalk and RamForumz and remember all the hype about 4.56's and 6.1 cams. A number of guys wound up with some really expensive repairs on practically new half-tons at the time, especially if they "tuned" their trucks. Maybe things have changed,"
I'm certainly not looking to squeeze out all the power possible here. I just want a fresh engine with a few noticeable upgrades to increase the power without destroying the reliability or mileage.
The diff is as quiet as new but with the big wheels and tires, it should have deeper gears. This truck came stock with 17" wheels. The ones with 20" wheels usually had a 3.92.This truck had aftermarket 22" wheels on it when I bought it. I have SRT 10 spec 22 x 9 wheels with 305-40-22 Nitto tires. That is a lot of rotational weight.
I don't know if 4.10s are available for this 9.25 axle. I've never looked into it that far.

Cam and a tune might be all you want, you'll need a diablo hand held tuner, then hook up with a good tuner and do it over e-mail. I know with a stock 392 they could get another 30-50hp just from a good tune. There are many that offer the service but www.ostdyno.com is the best I've heard