I know the late rollers almost all came with them. Did early magnums use the windage tray? R/T model engines? Pace trucks? Crate engines?

I seem to be in a petty argument on facebook. I'm following the advice in How to Build Big-Inch Mopar Small Blocks by Jim Szilagyi where he said that the factory windage tray was too close to the crank on 360's and not to use them. I'm trying to help someone rebuilding a motor home 360, yes a motor home not a race engine. From all I've ever read none of the magnums ever came with them, period. I figure when they took a serious look at them when they re-engineered the small block for the magnum line they found out that they don't help. (talking production engines, not purpose built race engines for which I know there are better options starting with the milodon tray and going up to crank scrapers.

I know I've read here there some racers make more power without them, with time slips to back it up. I also know opening up the slots and adding more can improve them.

Looking around I don't see any of the crate engines listing windage trays in their specs. What I see instead are upgraded baffled oil pans, and deeper pans to get the rotating assembly away from the oil pool.

Am I wrong? Happy to keep learning if I am.

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of
your thoughts" ~ Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius