Part of the problem is there isn't much information covering torsion bars, they like to play the numbers game, and there are a lot of numbers to play with.
For the 87-96 Dakota 4x4, they list bars for:
V6 standard
V6 heavy duty
V8 standard duty
and V8 heavy duty.
Apparently the 4 cylinder trucks got the standard duty V6 bars because there is no listing for them.
The heavy duty V6 and the standard duty V8 have the same Hollander exchange number, but the other two are different. No one lists any size spec on those bars, so the diameter is pretty well a guess unless you have one of each to measure. With the bar still installed in the truck, you really can't get a good measurement of the bar length either, by yourself. Maybe with 2 people you could get a good number for the length. At any rate, the Hollander book lists the up to 96 Dakota bars as all interchangeable, depending on which weight bar you need. The standard V6 bars are 1400lbs and the standard duty V8 bars are 2000lbs, there was no weight listing for the heavy duty V8 bar.

Finding info on the 97-2003 (or 2004) Dakota is another bag of worms. It seems you need a vin number to get the correct torsion bar for your truck. The same years of a Durango is a stand alone number for all Durangos, I guess they only made one bar for the Durango, and its a larger diameter then any Dakota listing. It seems the 97 -03 Dakota must have had droop issues, there are anchor brackets that allow you to put more tension on the bars "to get your front end height back". Those adjustable anchor brackets sell for between $250 and $300 for a pair. I have to wonder if those lift brackets kill the torsion bars quicker because of allowing more twist on the bars, or if the original adjustment was too short to begin with. I wonder how long the extra lift lasts. I also do not know if the 97-03 torsion bars are the correct length, or have the correct hex head sizes to fit into the 96 and older Dakota.

The 04 and up to?? Durango has a very large diameter bar. The set up looks just like the set up in my 96, but the distance between the measurable space between the two ends of the 96 and the Hemi Durango (that was sitting here) gave the Hemi Durango bars another inch in length over the length of the 96 bars. I could not get my fat butt under either truck far enough to measure the size of the hex on either end of either vehicle. For the record, the torsion bar anchor crossmember on the 96 is welded to both frame rails, I briefly gave thought to moving the 96 crossmember back that extra inch and go with the newer bars that are still available.

What started this whole mess was my 49 on the Dakota 4x4 frame sits a little lower then I would like. I do not know which bars are under the frame, I used the bars that came with the frame. Had I'd known there were different weight bars, I would have kept the bars from the rusted out V8 frame under the 96, but pulling them would have been a project in itself. Lazy intruded.

I adjusted the torsion bars up to within a 1/2" of the available threads on the adjusting bolts (I went up about 4 turns on each bar, from where they were, that put the static position of the spindles at about mid way between the upper and lower stops). That lifted the front end of the truck about 2". With a month of driving and around 500 miles, the truck has settled back to where it was before. That was the point I started looking for torsion bars.

Today I purchased a set of used bars for a standard duty V8 Dakota. All I have to do is get the old bars out, and the new to me bars in, I already know the old bars want to stay where they are....Hopefully these bars won't sag like the old bars did. Gene