Originally Posted by 340SIX
I have had Condon and Skelly as I bought the policy from an Agent that had a stand at the car shows. She was nice but years later sent a letter that said she was retiring but could stay with them as I was sending them the $ anyway.
I called them and said I was not going to renew and sent a letter as well as I went with Grundy. Fast forward to policy end, the Condon-Skelly called and I told them again I was not paying and even faxed a copy of the declaration page. Told them I had already paid Grundy and had the full policy with the declaration page. Then they sent a no insurance letter to my state. I called the state and sent the declaration page as proof as they were giving me 30 days to show proof or lose my license.
All was good until Condon sent a message again months later to my state stating I had no insurance letter again from the state.
I was told that I had to prove to Condon-Skelly so they would stop sending the state stuff I told them I had but did it again and again.
They were doing it out of spite and I later got a letter from some lawyer who was filing a class action suit as they did it too many people. Condon said it was the old Agent who went to work elsewhere and she said it was them but they were no help at all.
I have had Hagerty no problem as well as Grundy. Grundy was cheaper and has them now they are both good.

I am going through a similar mess with American Family on four conventional policies. At the first of this year I decided to switch insurers on two pickups, a car, and a truck. So when the renewal notices came in from AmFam they went in the garbage. Then a couple weeks ago I get a letter from a debt collection service that states an outstanding debt has been turned over to them by AmFam for collection. I sent them a letter telling them AmFam can pack sand, I'm not paying them anything. Two days later I get a call from the collection agency and I tell them the same thing and that I have sent them a letter formally challenging the debt. Unbelievably the next Monday I get a billing statement from AmFam saying I owe them $26 for one of the cancelled policies. Now keep in mind this policy expired the first of April. So I take the letter up to my former agent and ask the receptionist (since the agent is never there) what the hell is going on. She first tries to claim it's because of an unpaid balance. I told her BS, all policies were paid in full at issuance. She says she'll discuss it with the agent. So I get a call from the agent. He tells me I should have told him I was dropping AmFam. Told him I have no obligation to do so. He then said if I'd send him the insurance particulars on our current coverage, he'd see what he could do. Told him I have no obligation to do that either. Told him when AmFam did not receive the renewal checks by the due date, the policies expired then and there. He tells me no, ND state law requires insurance companies to extend coverage past the due date to prevent uninsured motorists from driving. But he will see what he can do. So I go to the ND Insurance Commissioner's website and it plainly states that if an insurer does not receive a renewal payment by the renewal due date, the policy terminates on that date. He lied to me. So I call him up and read him the passage from the website. He seems surprised and asks me to email the link to him which I did.

I am now composing a letter to him telling him that if this nonsense doesn't stop, I'm filing a formal complaint with the ND Insurance Commissioner. One thing good about ND, that department doesn't stand for any crap from the companies. We'll see how this turns out.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".