Originally Posted by nutso suave
I feel like progress in these areas is usually resisted because people (myself included) have an emotional investment in what we grew up with, what is in our memories, and what was cool when we were young. These new electric performance cars are pretty amazing...and for the generation growing up on them they will be nostalgic. The Tesla S is a mean machine! I still like the smell of an old muscle car idling, the sound of the engine revving and loading up, and the simple operation and handling.

I'd love to have a Demon and if they end up cheap like Hemi cars during the gas crunch I'm buying one!!

With me that isn't the case. The utter simplicity of an electric vehicle is a plus for me. BUT, I still have concerns about:

1) Where is all the electricity coming from to support all these electric vehicles?
2) Where are all the rare earth metals necessary for battery manufacturing coming from?
3) What is going to be done with all of the worn out batteries when they are replaced?
4) How are roads, bridges, and highways going to be built and maintained when the gas tax goes away?
5) Will taxpayer money still be used to subsidize the EV industry?

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I think a lot of the consequences of an all electric fleet haven't been thought through. The current rush to EV technology is eerily reminiscent of the early rush to nuclear power. How'd that all turn out?

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".