Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21
As a kid (40 plus years ago), I don’t remember any drama like this happening when playing sports.

Same here.

I think the weakening of local leagues and big business of “travel ball” has made things worse.

Not sure who’s the chicken or the egg between those two. The local leagues like AYSO soccer evolved into a “everybody gets a trophy” approach and other sports followed. Travel ball is much different. The “travel ball” industry is just that, an industry and big business fed by hopes and dreams.

And the million dollar business of “travel ball” leagues took off in the last 40 years. In the 80’s travel leagues were scarce, small, and grassroots. I know someone my same age that was a collage girls softball all-American. This girls softball travel club/business in the 80’s had a few teams. Same business is now is a multi-million dollar empire. Parents spending $80-100K in fees, travel expenses, “showcases”, private coaches throughout a childhood. All in the hope of their kids getting collage scholarships.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 05/31/21 03:23 AM.