Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Originally Posted by jbc426
These are the weights without driver. You guys are right to suggest I seek out another scale, and I forgot to mention both cars are dynamat'd and insulated too.

Dynamat is very heavy.

I doubt it’s too far off. It’s all the stuff that adds up.... on the ‘70: A/C, Dana, steel scatter shield, overdrive, rear steel disk vs lighter drum, big 3” thick exhaust. I bet a 100% complete steel shaker setup weigh more than a steel twin scoop hood.

How much bigger is the gas tank?

I didn’t weigh the barracuda it at Willow Springs ?

I see the background of those pictures.

The stainless steel tank is my own design made by Ricks Tanks. It holds an extra 7 gallons. It's 1 inch wider on each side and has an additional sump on the bottom.

I have a hunch that the weights are pretty accurate. Both these cars are set up as open road machines, so they are not too low, have overdrive transmissions and are focused on driver comfort on longer trips.

The '70 has 3 bulk packs of Dynamat in it, and the '68 has just over 1 bulk pack. I've found that Dynamat type products are good at dampening panel vibration, but an additional layer of a foil covered matting placed over the entire interior and sealed at the edges with aluminum foil with wax backing type duct tape vastly improves the reflection of a significant amount heat, fumes and noise. Used together, the two products can transform a car.

Tank1.JPGTank5.JPGTank3 (Medium).JPG

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)