Does anyone have any experience with motorized running boards?
I have finally have rejoined the ranks of truck owners for the first time since I sold my deteriorating 95 Ram 1500 9 years ago. Told myself I'd get another truck to replace it sooner or later not imagining almost 10 years would go by before I had another in my driveway.
Ordered a 2500, got a decent deal with a Friend and Family code shared by a member here (thanks Rich!), and despite supply shortages and line shut downs reported in the news almost daily, it arrived early, about 8 weeks after ordering it.
I love the truck, but am having one problem. Despite being tall and thinking the 2500 I got into at the dealership before placing my order was easily accessible without running boards, I find getting into my new monster to be a bit tough.
So I'm shopping for running boards. I don't like a lot of "bling" on trucks and wanted to keep the truck clean looking, therefore I'm not a huge fan of how running boards look. I found that there are motorized ones available on the market that are hidden most of the time except when you open the door to get in or out. They are also an option or standard on one of the highest trim level Rams. The aftermarket retractables are about a grand more expensive than good quality aftermarket fixed running boards. All things being equal I could probably talk myself into the extra cost.
But I am concerned about reliability. The motors appear to be exposed on the bottom of the truck somewhere without much protection from the elements.
Does anyone have any experience with powered running boards? I might just go with fixed because it's one less thing to break. But the retractable lighted steps sure are cool!

IMG_0740.JPG