Originally Posted by 440Jim
Originally Posted by AndyF

More stall might be a good idea but the stall speed will increase naturally from the extra torque so I'd try it first.

I agree with the trend, so the converter company will make use of the extra data. But I still think that "small 446" CID and long 284 deg @.050 duration will want high 5 grand stall speed for best perf.

Now I am coming from 500+ CID experience...

I agree with you but I'm wondering if that 446 engine really needs 284 duration. My guess is that the car would be faster with a smaller cam. The OP might not want to spin that 446 high enough to make use of the 284. If I was building a 446 with those heads and a solid roller I'd probably be 10 degrees smaller if not more. My 470 ran best with 264/268 and that was with MW heads and a ported intake. I didn't have as much compression so with more compression the cam can be a bit bigger. If the cam was smaller then the torque converter might be okay as is.

I just ran a 565 inch BB Chevy on the dyno with a 284 cam. It was a full race setup with 14:1 compression, CNC heads, Dart block, etc. It made 900 hp at 6500 rpm. Makes me think the OP's cam is too big.....