Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
After living in St. Louis, I can’t see why you are worried about those other places. Far more likely to be stolen or have car jacking where you live.

The St. Louis metro area is widely mis-perceived by many.

You are correct, St. Louis “proper” is a crap hole, and we NEVER go there.

But the metro area itself (including the near east Illinois counties) is surrounded by at least five major counties, and over a hundred self governing sovereign cities.

Some worse than St:Louis itself, some ultra rich areas, but by and large.. sprawling suburbs of mid to upper middle class.

Ferguson is a good example of being mis-perceived. Yes, it has depressed areas like where the M. Brown situation occurred.

But, drive just a few miles and you’re in middle class suburbia, or even upper class executive acreage homes... all within Ferguson city limits. Ferguson is about seven or so miles from St. Louis proper.

I myself live in the St. Peter’s / O Fallon / Lake St. Louis area. About 40 miles west of St. Louis proper, and consistently rated as one of the safest and economically vibrant areas. Tons of homes on multi-acreage.

We’re not even IN St. Louis County, but St. Charles County.

BUT! When most of the folk from one of these many, many cities meet people out state. We almost always say we’re from “St. Louis.”

Saves a lot of explanation! beer