Originally Posted by Gtxxjon
Hi Folks, the replies are getting more wacky by the day, but its still a good thread!

I only got interested because its the COMBO that I want to run!
1971 sixpack 'all-iron' engine with a sixpack, exhausting through them AWFUL HP manifolds... blah

So will someone out there PLEASE tell me the BEST COMBO???

Basically what I'm saying, who's got the best 'ALL-IRON' set-up, WITH HP manifolds and what's the CAMSHAFT choice...???

Obviously the 'supposed' SIXPACK naughty Nick was running, was a POO motor with low comp pistons, 516 heads (probably) and a lumpy 'OLD SCHOOL' cam... fan

There are articles in the tech section that cover this. I did several articles 10 to 15 years ago on camshaft selection with HP manifolds as well as engine design for HP manifolds so this info has been out there for a long time.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/550hp.html

The thing I learned way back when was that the camshaft is the key. You need to be very careful picking a cam when running HP manifolds. If the cam is too small you lose top end power. If the cam is too big you lose power everywhere. The cam needs to be "just right" and then it works great with HP manifolds. Do not call the camshaft tech line to get a cam for manifolds. They have no idea. Do not ask for cam advice on the internet, you'll just get a bunch of nonsense replies. The only person I'd call for a manifold cam is Dwayne.

Last edited by AndyF; 03/26/21 06:53 PM.