Originally Posted by BSB67
Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Originally Posted by BSB67
Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
There was a thread here from maybe 2-3 years ago where the build was some sort of 500” stroker with TF240 heads and a 6-bbl intake with a hyd roller cam designed to supposedly be ex manifold friendly......... and as I recall the power difference between the headers and manifolds was in the neighborhood of 90hp.

....and, if I remember correctly, the cam choice, although believed to be a good choice, really was not that great of a choice.

I think when they bolted the manifolds on and the motor lost 90hp........ that’s when it became pretty apparent the overall combo may not have been fully “optimized” for exhaust manifold use.

I think the slow hydraulic roller ramps and pretty big seat timing hurt that motor's manifold potential. It had like 83° overlap at the seat. I target 55° or less depending on the motor. Bracket guys successfully live and die buy a cam's 0.050" numbers. Manifold motors seem to care about actual seat timing.

And certainly you cannot argue with the header advantage in that example. I just don't think you're going to get 680 HP out of any manifold motor with any cam and a bunch of Summit Racing parts slapped together like you could do with a header motor.

So, if you had replaced the cam(and nothing else) with another hyd roller that would have brought the power numbers between the headers and manifolds closer together........ would it make more power with manifolds....... or just make less with the headers?

From my perspective, if they were in the 580hp range on pump gas, with a hyd roller cam, 6bbl induction, thru ex manifolds......... they really weren’t doing too bad at all.
Imagine your old 505 with a 6bbl and hyd roller cam, compared to the configuration it was in during your dyno test.
580 would have been a pretty good number.....no?

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads