Here is some input from an ex dealership employee. Parts for me. The factory extended warranty is the way to go, but shop around or just deal direct with the factory as the dealer can sometimes pad the price for additional profit. Some do, some don't. For sure you need to be informed of what is and what is not covered. Getting the repairs done at the selling dealer sometimes gives you leverage on issues needing to be dealt with. Some dealers just plain blow on customer service so be prepared to search one out who will help. When you but that extended service warranty contract, make sure it is the FACTORY ONE, NOT AN AFTERMARKET CONTRACT. Some F&I departments get sneaky and will sell you an aftermarket contract because they make more profit on it. Stay away from those like the plague. All you will get out of them is the happy finger. When you run into difficulties getting something taken care of, make sure the contract shows that the item is covered. If it is and you are getting nowhere with the dealer, look on the back of your owners manual or in the owners portfolio packet. There is a number to call the mothership to complain about what's going on. Sometimes the coverage problem is just the dealer but there are times when the issue is the district service manager trying to make his/her monthly numbers look good to the higher ups. When I was working parts, you knew there was an issue with something by the frequency of repairs or replacement of a given item. Like the 604/518/618 trannies, 4.0 liter Jeep exhaust manifolds etc. The district service managers would put dealers on restriction because the repaired/replaced too many of something. I worked at a dealer in the mid 90's where the other two dealers in the immediate area were put on restriction because of the frequency of repair/replace 604 trannies and they referred customers to ours and then we got put on restriction. How about confessing that there is an issue with the item Mopar? Anyhow, call that number, have all your info ready and don't let up. One time I "slipped up" and gave a customer the district managers number to them since they were getting nowhere at the dealer due to the district manager. That made it so he couldn't just hide. He didn't like that phone call but took care of it. When he had to deal directly with the customer as opposed to letting someone else deal with it he sang a different tune. Be prepared to get mean.

Carl Kessel