Originally Posted by IMGTX
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by Sniper
Anyone that thinks they can tell how tight something is torqued "by hand" is fooling themselves.

Sometime I'll tell the story about replacing the casting plug in the end of a 383 head...with the engine in the car....on the end that faces the firewall...without removing the head.

I'm about to do that on a 440 Chrysler 300. My plan was a plumbing bar clamp. I would be very interested in his way.

IIRC what Vern did was use a bar and a block of wood against the firewall. Took a punch and, in combination with the bar, pressed on a side of the plug to turn it sideways. He then pulled it out with a smaller bar. Cleaned the bore up with some abrasive cloth (as I remember this was the worst part), then used a socket and the bar/wood combo to press the plug in. He was leveraging everything off the firewall using the wood block as a spreader. I can't remember him disconnecting the kickdown linkage or the throttle linkage but he must have as this was the driver's side head. This was a mid 60's Chrysler wagon if my memory isn't totally crap today.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".