Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by WFO
Originally Posted by AndyF
Yes the Hyperspark distributor can be used with a MSD ignition box and a MSD coil. The Hyperspark distributor plugs into the Sniper and then the white wire (points output) from the Sniper triggers the MSD ignition box.

Hey Andy, just to clarify on this one:

Can the Hyperspark distributor be used by itself *without* the Sniper EFI?

I'm in the same spot as he is where I need to buy a new distributor and Sniper EFI is in my future plans. If I could buy it and run it with an MSD in the interim that would be sweet.

Thanks, Sean

No I don't think that would work since the Hyperspark distributor doesn't have any advance mechanism. It is just an RPM signal generator for the Sniper. The Sniper computer then creates the ignition advance curve and sends it to the MSD box. If you hooked a Hyperspark up to a MSD box it would be like a crank trigger with a locked timing curve.

that was my question, and i was confused by andy's answer as well.
i'm going to be using my well sorted thermoquad to start with until i can afford a sniper system.
since i need to replace my gas tank, i replaced it with a stainless part from vans auto, and am installing an aeromotive 340lph pump in the tank, along with a 1/2" return line.
i also have an aeromotive regulator, so it will be a matched system when i can finally switch over to the sniper.
i guess i'll just modify a stock distributor for now, and either use a gm HEI adaptation, or use the stock distributor to trigger the MSD, using a "ford F150 style" coil that matches whatever ignition system i decide on using, then when i can afford the sniper setup, i'll get the hyperspark distributor.
beer