Originally Posted by topside
I wouldn't think the 284/484 cam would be rowdy in a 440; in a 383/727 RR I had, it was soggy off-idle but things got happy after 3000RPM.
What is this AT & AC GTX used for ? Is it a restored/#s car or a hot rod ?
Changing the cam to something more modern would gain everywhere and require less crutching & less $$$.

This car is basically a restored numbers match GTX except for a set of wheels,current duty is just aa a cruiser.Engine has the stock AVS carb on a stock spec 440 rebuild except for the 484 cam.Ignition is the factory points distributor,exhaust is OE manifolds into stock style duals with an H-pipe.The automatic transmission was built by a local trans guy well versed in Mopars and shifted great. Very crisp and consistent shifts at 6200 RPM (if tach was accurate) in drive.It has had many gear swaps from the original 3.23 to 4.10 at different times. I drove it from Pittsburgh PA to the Indy Mopar Nats in 1993,ran it down the IRP strip too.It did a 13.9 ET which I thought was acceptable having the stock carb and all. I wouldn't mind updating the cam,I always thought it was a bit radical for the overall package being a basically stock engine plus having AC.If the 484 shows any signs of wear I willl replace it with a newer design,a bit less aggressive.
Thanks,RT