There's a group that does roll racing by us, that I've participated in a few times. This is how it works with this particular group...
It's at the local drag strip [ which this year the NHRA division sanctioned + test and tune days, have now limited to 1/8th mile runs, on a track that has been 1/4 mile since forever [ 30+ yrs] ]
The staging lanes are right behind the starting tree here, about 7 -8 stage lanes wide. They set cones at 1/4 mile mark - plus the regular timing billboards are there. and they set another set of cones at the 1/3 mile mark.
The Roll- race and digs "strip" is not on the regular drag path, so there's no rubber laid down.

Every car has its at-the-wheels horsepower written on the windows, so people can gage what might be good competition for their vehicle. Cars line up in the approach area, and if you don't have your next race already set with someone, you ask folks if they want to run versus your vehicle. Standard speed when crossing the " start" at the line of the X-mas tree is 40 mph , but any # can be negotiated, and i was asking for a " roll from 30" due to my cars gearing.

You start back a couple hundred feet, the organizers ask if you want to burn-out [ dry] . Then they wave you both foward, accelerating thru the stage lanes and you both try to be crossing the start line, even with your opponent, at 30 or 40 or 60mph etc. - then you lay into the pedals. Everyone is asked " Roll or Dig ? " - so you can absolutely start from a HandDrop, from a dead stop 0mph, at the X-mas tree line, if you want. Then you run as hard and fast as possible up to the 1/3 mile cone, then let off. So you have rollrace cars leaving the line at maybe 40mph or more , than accelerating for another full 1/3 mile. It's usually about 75/25% or 80/20% - roll race to dig race ratio throughout the day.

My cars are both manual clutch 6 speeds. They are both in the slower, lower HP range for sure. Stock newer chubby scatpak challenger, and a light "kit-car" rear engine V6 twin turbo w/ about 440 crank HP. I disabled the traction control on the Scatpak for all the runs, and the kitcar has just a LSD in the transaxle.

Cars i ran against , some from a dig, most from a roll, with the claimed whp -- Jag XKR vert @510 -- CAddy CTSV @500 -- Merc SL55 @400 --Audi S4 @470 --newer Mustang @560 -- Hellcat Charger+ Challenger @700 -- BMW 235i on E30ethanoltune @450 -- Honda CRV { yes the little SUV thing} @ 600 --
"10 second" VW with VR6engine and 62mm turbo -- Nissan GTR all-wheel-drive @900 -- Acura NSX supercharged @735 -- and a 4 door sleeper BMW 3 series with a turbodiesel on methanol spray+ nitrous @ 434HP+ 738 ft-lbs torque .

There were some older drag oriented american iron that mostly ran digs as well, at the meets. Saw a 68ish Camaro 9 second car vs. a McLaren720. A Lamborghini vs a Tesla. A 600hp 1970's chevy truck vs a 600hp front drive honda, etc
Lots of fast Japanese and European cars as well as American. Several twin turbo and supercharged Vipers. 1000Hp porsche. Just a real broad spectrum of cars and enthusiasts. Anyone was welcome . Many of these cars would be great on a road course track with various turns + braking points also. Hope this helps describe a roll-race day in better detail.