Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
For those who say, "Nobody kept them stock". That is absolutely untrue. I know of many cars that were never modified. I also know of cars that only had wheels changed. Most cars that I saw around here or test drove were absolutely stock. These include:
1970 Challenger R/T 383/AT
1962 300 sport (H interior)
1966 Barracuda (it had been rode hard and put away wet, but the only non-stock item was the steering wheel)
1967 Barracuda Formula S convertible (rust had modified parts of the car, but it was absolutely stock)
1968 GTS convertible (only non-stock deviation was the '69 Charger wheel covers, likely put on at the original dealer)
1969 GTS convertible
1968 GTS hardtop
1969 Swinger 340

I bought both the '66 Barracuda and the '68 GTS convertible, which we still have. Many cars were left stock because for many of the original owners they were transportation. That was certainly the case with my GTS.

Jim, I don't doubt there were many that went through life unchanged, but I bet the odds were less the 33% finding one unmodified. All through the 70s - 90s, I parted out a lot of performance era Mopars. Even back then if I stumbled across a pretty much original car, I had a couple guys I knew would buy them, if there was any hope of saving them. By the time I got my hands on those old performance Mopars, not many of any of them were savable, but they sure made great parts cars. I didn't deal with many A bodies, too many were slant 6, and the 5 on 4" bolt pattern made the wheels pretty useless, not many guys were fixing them up. Gene