Originally Posted by furious70
Originally Posted by TRENDZ

I. I guarantee you that if you log your exhaust pressure now, with the current engine, and later put a bigger compressor wheel in it, you would see a drop in exhaust pressure, and more power.

I can't wrap my head around this one, could you explain more?

A bigger compressor wheel moves more air at the same rpm. Since boost is controlled by air instead of turbine speed he would not need as much exhaust flow to hit the necessary turbine rpm. Once the speed required is reached the wastegate dumps the rest overboard.

*poof*

Same intake pressure but with less parasitic loss in turbine pressure. That means more power.

The larger wheel will likely be in a happier part of the compressor map than the current wheel. Improved efficiency also means more power through lower boost temperature.

Think of it as paddling a canoe with a ping pong paddle. It'll work but you're going to spend a lot of effort getting up to speed. Changing over to a proper paddle means more speed with considerably less effort.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon