Originally Posted by CMcAllister

The old expression says - "A car is made up of thousands of parts - all supplied by the lowest bidder."

Can we take that as gospel?

Don't have a "yes/no" answer for that.

I try like heck to look at things like that from all sides including marketer, tier 1, then multiple tier 2s and so on.
Whether that is a blessing or a weakness is for someone else to decide, I don't really care.

I'll admit....sometimes it's a waste of time to even consider, as there's nothing we can do about it, but whatever.

From past experience....those boxes were probably the best they ever were, during the era when they were being used on production vehicles
and for a short while after.

What was the last vehicle to use one? (not a challenge, as I have no idea).
Maybe 1980-something?
When they were used on production vehicles, the sales volumes were highest.
OE stops using the part, volumes go in the dump. Tens of thousands or more vehicles are scrapped/attrition.
Service parts volumes go in the dump.
Performance parts volumes (which were always far less than service parts) go in the dump even more.

This is the point the part should probably be killed off....
But there is money to be made, and vehicles do need it for service+boy racer stuff.

Tier 2s (component suppliers) jack up the piece price because you aren't buying 47000 transistors per year anymore,
now it's only 1500. The painter and plater jack up their piece price because you don't need as many cases finished anymore.
Tier 1 takes cost out wherever possible to try to keep the profit. Tier 2s are told we need low cost solutions for every piece
and every process, everyone obliges... on and on down the line.

Everyone trying to make money off of a part that should probably just be put out of it's misery.

That's the usual downward spiral.
'
Those ECUs were usually pretty good, around 1988 or so, but things changed.

Some don't care about the whole story and feel the past is meaningless/and that is OK.
I've been a parts geek for too long to drop old habits.

Gut the "goop" out of one sometime, they're pretty funny to check out internally. There's almost nothing going on there
and often a ground wire is just laying against the case/failure waiting to happen.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri