Originally Posted by Satilite73

Haven't really seen anything that old in the local yards in a long time and what was there deserved to be.

Not quite as old, but sometime ago, I saw a '62 T-bird. Car was rough, but not rotted, and looked pretty complete. Probably could have been restored.

One that really upset me was a '79 Cordoba. I guess it had come from an Estate Auction/sale. I don't remember the exact mileage, but it was under 20K and the car looked it. flame

That's the bad thing about the PAP yards, there's no way to buy a complete car out of the yard. frowwn

Here in IL, it became illegal for a junk yard to sell complete cars before the year 2000. They were licensed to sell parts (new or used), selling a complete car could cost them the parts selling license. At the same time, it became illegal for an auto dealership to sell used parts, they could sell you new parts, or new or used cars, but not used parts. I also believe they (the state) stopped the practice of issuing both a used parts sales license and a new/used car license to the same person or company. A few businesses that had both licenses before they started with the restrictions were grandfathered in and could continue, but I don't know if they sold the business, the new owners got both licenses. Some yards walked the very thin line that if the car didn't actually enter the yard, they could sell the complete car, but that was probably a risky adventure.
I wouldn'r be surprise if the IL laws were nation wide by now. You just hear of a few yards that are willing to sell a car and they can still give you a good title. Gene