When I bought my Dodge truck I made the mistake of going into the dealership in person. Evidently they consider people who walk in the door to be suckers or something. I told the guy I wanted to see the truck that was in the paper with a big discount and he told me that it was sold. I went home and checked stock on line and of course he was lying to me. I ended up contacting a different dealer via email and getting a quote for a truck that was in stock. They gave me a fairly large discount and I was happy. I'm not sure why the first sales guy lied to me. I don't see how lying helps him sell vehicles. The inventory is all listed on the website along with the discounts.

A couple years ago I bought a Nissan Leaf for my daughter. I checked inventory, prices and discounts on line before I went to the dealer. This dealer was a little smarter than the Dodge dealer but the sales guy I talked to still was ignorant of the discounts available on the Nissan website. Or at least he pretended not to know about the cash back offer. I had it bookmarked on my phone so I just pulled it up and showed it to him and then he magically found it on his computer screen. Not sure if the sales guys are dumb or if they are liars. Hard to say. Moral of the story is to do your research before you go to the dealership. Once they know that you know then they seem to treat you a little better.