Moparts

Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!!

Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 05:58 PM

I sold my 06 truck thinking i could buy a 2020 ram based on what i saw on the ole innerweb, boy was i wrong, cant buy the trucks for the price you see in the listings on cars.com or autotrader, according to the dealerships those sites set the prices for them, WHAT?!!!!!, what a friggn joke this has turned into, i have not bought a new vehicle in 14 years and things sure have changed and not for the good, it was bad enough then, im sure this is nothing new but for me it is, i could continue this rant with a couple thousand words on what has taken place, but i think i will avoid the long reads.
Posted By: A12

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 06:22 PM

Download the internet ad or take a phone photo of the ad (screen) then take it to a dealer and see if they will match the price. With the way car and truck sales are I would bet you'll find a dealer or two to match most any pricing.....and if you find more than one dealer to match the price then there's most likely another dealer that may beat that price too grin
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Download the internet ad or take a phone photo of the ad (screen) then take it to a dealer and see if they will match the price. With the way car and truck sales are I would bet you'll find a dealer or two to match most any pricing.....and if you find more than one dealer to match the price then there's most likely another dealer that may beat that price too grin

iagree Also go to the fleet department of the dealership.

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 06:54 PM

none of the dealerships around these parts have the truck i want and none of them are willing to find one or do some dealer trading like they used to, all the dealers i call say they are overwhelmed with customers which i think is bull, i drive by the dealers here and they have one salesman standing in front on his gadget texing or whatever, then i have called various dealers and tell them what i want then never hear back, what a friggn joke, im without a truck and need one, i use my son inlaws when needed but im over that, one example i called on last night, NOT MY FIRST COLOR CHOICE, is listed for 43k and change plus tax, license, doc fees about 4k for those, i said ok i will take it which should have came in around 47k, after me having to call them back and then deal with a smarta$$ they finally called me back and said the deal could be done for 57k which is 14k more than the asking/innerweb price, [censored]!!! sorry, WHAT THE FRIG!!!!! is that more better?
Posted By: markz528

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by SV_MOPARS
I sold my 06 truck thinking i could buy a 2020 ram based on what i saw on the ole innerweb, boy was i wrong, cant buy the trucks for the price you see in the listings on cars.com or autotrader, according to the dealerships those sites set the prices for them, WHAT?!!!!!, what a friggn joke this has turned into, i have not bought a new vehicle in 14 years and things sure have changed and not for the good, it was bad enough then, im sure this is nothing new but for me it is, i could continue this rant with a couple thousand words on what has taken place, but i think i will avoid the long reads.

In 2017 I was shopping for a new Focus for my daughter. Cars.com had a ton of them starting at $9999. Almost all were very basic manual versions. A couple were the higher SE with automatics. One dealer about a mile from my house had one of the SE models. He did explain to me that the Cars.com price included all possible rebates which we did not qualify for all. But basically I paid a few hundred dollars more and bought it over the phone in about 10 minutes. It was $13k even out the door. Was very pleased with the deal and since have bought 2 more cars from the same salesman.

I also bought my 2016 Colorado off of Cars.com as a leftover in February 2017. The car was not local to me and took some haggling but I bought it for $22,800 out the door. Was happy with that transaction also.

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by markz528

In 2017 I was shopping for a new Focus for my daughter. Cars.com had a ton of them starting at $9999. Almost all were very basic manual versions. A couple were the higher SE with automatics. One dealer about a mile from my house had one of the SE models. He did explain to me that the Cars.com price included all possible rebates which we did not qualify for all. But basically I paid a few hundred dollars more and bought it over the phone in about 10 minutes. It was $13k even out the door. Was very pleased with the deal and since have bought 2 more cars from the same salesman.

I also bought my 2016 Colorado off of Cars.com as a leftover in February 2017. The car was not local to me and took some haggling but I bought it for $22,800 out the door. Was happy with that transaction also.
yeah im starting to think its just the chrysler dodge ram dealerships that are the problem, considering swithcing brands, really dont want to becuz the chevys and fords are just plain ugly imo, i really want the new body style ram, by the way the trucks im looking at are new and about to be one year old in a few months when the 2021 hit the market and the are alot of 2020 out there im asuming becuz of the scamdemic.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 09:09 PM

Pretty sure the dealer sets the price bit it's likely driven by other dealer's "internet" price. Personally I like car shopping on the net...beats the hell out of driving from dealer to dealer and putting up with salespeople at each one. I bought a Mustang GT last year. Took months to find what we wanted for the price we were happy with. We quickly noticed that similarly equipped cars were all the same price...regardless of dealer. Anything that looks close you need to call about. Make sure they have it(all those ads have stock #s,be sure to reference that), it's equipped as listed, the price is as listed, etc. We found a number of cars that weren't exactly as listed when we called. We ended up driving 200 mi roundtrip to get our car but it was worth it.We also had a 100 mi wild goose chase even after talking to the dealer...it wasn't what he said so we walked out. He called me a bunch after that with other cars but I told him he was done.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 09:29 PM

You'll avoid a lot of aggravation if you just email them, give them a stock number and ask for an "out the door" price. Get the deal documented in writing in the email. If it's too high, the email conversation ends there and you don't need to make a trip.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 11:42 PM

When I bought my Dodge truck I made the mistake of going into the dealership in person. Evidently they consider people who walk in the door to be suckers or something. I told the guy I wanted to see the truck that was in the paper with a big discount and he told me that it was sold. I went home and checked stock on line and of course he was lying to me. I ended up contacting a different dealer via email and getting a quote for a truck that was in stock. They gave me a fairly large discount and I was happy. I'm not sure why the first sales guy lied to me. I don't see how lying helps him sell vehicles. The inventory is all listed on the website along with the discounts.

A couple years ago I bought a Nissan Leaf for my daughter. I checked inventory, prices and discounts on line before I went to the dealer. This dealer was a little smarter than the Dodge dealer but the sales guy I talked to still was ignorant of the discounts available on the Nissan website. Or at least he pretended not to know about the cash back offer. I had it bookmarked on my phone so I just pulled it up and showed it to him and then he magically found it on his computer screen. Not sure if the sales guys are dumb or if they are liars. Hard to say. Moral of the story is to do your research before you go to the dealership. Once they know that you know then they seem to treat you a little better.

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 11:49 PM

If you're looking for a Dodge Ram then start with Dave Smith and see what kind of price he has. Work your way from there. Dave Smith is a 6 hour drive from where I live but I see Dave Smith license plates all the time. Lots of people make the drive over there to pick up a new Dodge Ram since he tends to price his trucks to sell.
https://www.davesmith.com/
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/04/20 11:54 PM

The dealership I do business with has always been straight with me, of course the sponsor the car show I have been putting on for the last 17 years, though they started sponsoring after my original dealer went out of business in 2009. I was getting my minivan oil changed and walked the lot. They had the exact truck I was thinking of buying, but had was not in the market at the moment. For s&g I asked what the price was if I traded in the minivan that was given to me by the estate of my cousin, so I had nothing in the minivan. Needless to say I drove my new truck home, and brought it back in for free steps the next week as they had a free $500 accessory if you owned a business! 201K miles on my 2015 Ram 4x4 now, and it has been awesome! When I move from this God forsaken state, I will probably still buy from them...
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/05/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
When I bought my Dodge truck I made the mistake of going into the dealership in person. Evidently they consider people who walk in the door to be suckers or something. I told the guy I wanted to see the truck that was in the paper with a big discount and he told me that it was sold. I went home and checked stock on line and of course he was lying to me. I ended up contacting a different dealer via email and getting a quote for a truck that was in stock. They gave me a fairly large discount and I was happy. I'm not sure why the first sales guy lied to me. I don't see how lying helps him sell vehicles.

This nonsense has been around for a very long time. My dad was looking for a lightly used pickup back around '88 and he went through the same dance. He told that salesman he would not buy ANY vehicle from him after pulling that, and left. (He ended up with a nice four-year-old F-150 with only 40k miles at the second dealership, who did "have it in stock".) I suspect HIS parents had the same BS experience in their day...

Apparently the rationale is, once they have a live sucker on the lot, they'll sell him something. Preferably an upsell.
I highly recommend anyone daring to set foot on a car lot read Remar Sutton's "Don't Get Taken Every Time". It's been through several printings and is essential reading before entering the lions' den.
Incidentally, the last time I bought a car from a dealer was also four years old in '88, and they pulled every single stunt detailed in the book. Wish I'd known about it then.
Posted By: topside

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/05/20 02:12 AM

For the last 50 years or so - actually, since I was in High School, graduated in 1969 - dealers have run ads for "loss leaders".
That's the stripper model they ordered to advertise.
99% of folks would want more options or trim, so it was essentially "bait & switch".
If you're anywhere near the Northwest, like AndyF says, call Dave Smith.
All they seem to care about is moving vehicles, and they might still fly you in to buy one.
They're in Kellogg, Idaho - pretty much the whole town is Dave Smith dealerships - and have an internet site.
They also have a presence in Coeur d'Alene.
Maybe half the Dodges in the PNW area are from them.

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/05/20 05:01 AM

thanks for all the info, i will check out the dave smith website and see what they offer. i was actually hoping to get a general sales manager to jump in or even a dealership owner, im sure there are a few that check out moparts, maybe they will but i doubt it. hope you all got a chance to celebrate our greatest holiday as a country that we have imo.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/05/20 05:54 AM

Dealers have no cars, the factories have been closed for the most part since March. Not the time to be looking for a new truck IMO, they probably have 5 left and 267 customers calling for them, you probably saw a pre-covid ad. I can only imagine the greasy bait and switch s*** going on right now
Posted By: 71charger

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/05/20 01:28 PM

I don't think any dealer posts real prices on the internet. They do everything they can to drive the price lower so it's their dealership you'll call or visit. Including every possible rebate is standard practice. What really pisses me off is, at least in this area, dealers have started subtracting freight from their advertised price. I went to look at a Durango that was advertised at a bit over $31K, but was really $36K after they added back in all the weird rebates that almost no one qualifies for and the $1500 in freight that they conveniently leave out of their posted price.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/05/20 02:01 PM

Dave Smith Website Price

Too Low To Show

LOL
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/06/20 01:43 PM

I would not go as far as the TITLE to this topic ... but stuff like ...

The sales girl saying she would THROW INTO THE DEAL a couple oil changes..

Hasn’t happened yet - no confirmation in writing- ... SRT oil changes cost from 110$ to almost 200 clams eek
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/06/20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 70Duster
You'll avoid a lot of aggravation if you just email them, give them a stock number and ask for an "out the door" price. Get the deal documented in writing in the email. If it's too high, the email conversation ends there and you don't need to make a trip.

iagree
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/06/20 08:15 PM

I understand your frustration but must think out load that this has really been the norm since I first started buying new cars, the stealer ship always tries to get deeper in ones wallet. And people are probably more easy with it now with all the free credit and fake rebates.

I hope it works out for you.

Posted By: 69allen

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/06/20 08:38 PM

The title “Lying, Deceiving, Misleading Dealership” should on the front of the building, in big bold letters, of every dealership.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/07/20 02:39 PM

I'm on the opposite coast but my last purchase was very smooth, well for buying a new truck. Everything was done via text, email or phone call. We even negotiated the trade over the phone. I just had to send some photos.

The deal was made for the advertised price, got all the rebates which I know I didn't qualify for. They didn't require my dd214 as proof of military service or anything other than my word. Then I get the contract and there was added dealership fees and jacked up title fees. I called back and rescinded my offer. Told then I wouldn't pay the fees. He said that he couldn't remove them. I told the salesman well he can add to the trade in or subtract the total of the fees from the the new truck if he wanted the sale. The dealership ate the fees.

Drove to the dealership left our old car and was in my new truck in about 30 minutes.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/07/20 10:42 PM

As another posted... the factories have been shut down for months that make new trucks. With no replacement stock coming in the dealerships are not going to bend over and give anyone a deal on a new truck. The whole used/ new truck market is hot right now. I buy nearly new Rams (low mile 2018's) from the insurance auctions and repair them. Even the auction prices I'm seeing are up thousands in the last few months for what I typically have to bid to win. Too bad you are looking for a new body style Ram as I have several 4th gen with less than 20K miles
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/08/20 03:17 AM

I gave up on the Chry/Dodge/Jeep dealers a loooong time ago. We drive 2 Subarus now. Better quality, no-hassle buying, and they retain value better than any late-model Mopar.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/08/20 12:57 PM

My wife leased a new Acura RDX ( her third) a month ago , did all the negotiations on the phone and internet due to the pandemic here in N. J. dropped off old lease and picked up new one in and out of dealership in ten minutes. Dodge dealers are notorious for being shady and difficult come to think of it almost every Dodge/ Plymouth I have purchased new has had some kind of hassle/problem. When i bought my 08 H.Q.C. I saw it on the lot on a Sunday , went to dealer on a Monday and started the process of purchasing it. the salesman were anything but enthusiastic but I did get a great deal : a truck with a 39,500 list price for 22,000 and my 80,000 mile 02 Durango with a bad rear. I think because the new body style 09s were out and they wanted rid of the 08. they did give me 4 free oil changes but i only used one as the dealership closed. ( back when Chrysler closed many dealers at one time) i think the salesman knew it was coming and thats why he wasn't to excited about the sale. I don't see myself buying a Dodge soon as my 08 only has 56,00 miles on it but you never know ,a new 2500 would be nice or a new Dakota ( if and when they come out) as my everyday transportation.

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/08/20 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by SKR8PN
I gave up on the Chry/Dodge/Jeep dealers a loooong time ago. We drive 2 Subarus now. Better quality, no-hassle buying, and they retain value better than any late-model Mopar.

Yeah my wife is Toyota or Honda only. She won't go in a domestic dealership since they have treated her so poorly in the past. I think the worst sales practices I've run into were at a Ford dealership but the Dodge dealer was a close second.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/08/20 07:24 PM

IMHO... The best RAM dealers in SoCal for choice & deals are Hunter in Lancaster and HB Ram in Huntington Beach.. We have bought (2) RAM trucks, 1 from each but U have to play hardball and be prepared to walk away.. In both purchases they had the truck as wanted but then were stubborn to deal. We left our phone # and over the next few days we got multiple callbacks. Originally we told them what we wanted to pay and eventually they came close to matching our offers...

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Lying Deceiving Misleading Dealerships!!!! - 07/08/20 08:08 PM

Friend of mine just bought a 2019 dirty max (don't know why someone would do that) left over new truck in Georgia 3000 miles away, saved $20,000 over what any local dealers would offer so he flew down and drove it back.
© 2024 Moparts Forums