I have a 78 Fury 2 door hardtop, 53k original miles, I'm the 2nd owner, have had the car since 2007 when I got it with 38k. 904, 2.76 rear. stone, dead stock. only mod is true duals, 2-1/4" all the way back.
318 2 bbl, still has (surprisingly) functional Lean Burn in place. carb is Holley 2280 2 barrel, as came original.
I want to wake it up a bit, improve off the line pep. I have on hand a set of '302 heads, fresh from the machine shop. the "heart chamber" ones. currently a slug on takeoff but loves to cruise at 70 MPH.
I also have a stock 360 cam, almost dead ringer for a COMP 252. I have had stock 318s in other vehicles, with the same gearing that seemed more peppy.
I also have a few aftermarket alum. dual plane intakes. Among them a Performer (not "RPM") and an Offenhauser. Want to retain the original RV2 air compressor. and I have a few different TQs and AFB/Edelbrocks, among those a 500 CFM and a 600 (625?)
I am not saying "I have to" run that cam, but an identical cam really woke up my former 83 D250's 318. but would like to utilize other of what I have on hand.

I did put a T chain (Edelbrock true roller) on about 8-10K ago because I was "in there anyway" only 4 bolts away from a T chain in replacing the original water pump. T chain was a "just because" replacement. Lean Burn WILL go away, I have a few stock aftermarket (brand new) 4 pin Mopar ECU's, but not "against" trying an HEI as long as I have to swap "something else" in place of the Lean Burn brain and distributor. (I think I have a smallblock electronic distributor or 3 around here still)

3 season daily driver/cruiser. I wouldn't be against buying a different cam, but among the rest of my stash I want to "use what I have already" if at all possible. NOT interested in any sort of EFI conversion.
Never was, never gonna be a "race car". but I want to be able to let my wife take it to work when she wants..... as she sometimes does now.
would a COMP 260 be too "big" in a stock 318 with the '302 heads? can put my hands on one of those readily as well.....

thoughts? Suggestions? thinking of doing the Power Tour this year, did so in this car as it presently sits/ in both '09 and '10. would like "improvements" in place by then (end of Aug)

for our purposes and considering its low orig miles I am content with keeping this 318 in place. no engine swaps.