Originally Posted by Twostick
Ditch the lean burn, good ignition with a recurved distributor, maybe advance that 360 cam a few degrees or talk to fast68plymouth about the cam he recommended. If you have a well sorted TQ, put that on a Performer but that Edelbrock 600 would work too. The TQ will be more fuel mileage friendly IMHO.

I would think a Magnum head would be the better stock head but would need different pushrods I think. Fast68plymouth again would be the guy to ask.

An A500 or A518 overdrive with a 3.91 would give it the biggest kick in the pants even as it is. If overdrive isn't an option, a 3.23 gear will wake it up considerably compared to the 2.76 and still keep up with traffic.

Kevin

I've done magnum head swaps on a couple of 318s before, yes that does help. But I don't have any. I have these 302s I always had heard they were the best traditional LA heads for a 318. No?
Years ago I had an 88 d100 with a TBI 318 that had those heads on it. That was a roller cam version. After fighting the TBI on that pos I still couldn't top 8 mpg. And that's also after I swapped in an a 518 in place of the original 3 speed auto (999 I think it was?
I've also had a 85 diplomat with a roller 318 and those heads but carbd that car ran better than this fury and doubled the mileage of the 88

I rebuilt the engine in that 88 and discovered the original heads were cracked, this was around 1995, I couldn't find a set of 302s back then to save my life. I finally did in a junkyard and paid a ridiculous amount of money for them at the time. Even with a complete rebuild (stock because of the TBI computer) still an 8mpg truck.
I've had 360 dually that was better than that. Again I blame the blasted TBI setup for that.