I have a stock 360 headed 318 with the Hughes 5.2 whiplash roller/comp 901-16 springs. I have ran this in a 318 with the #302 heads also with good results. I have a bone stock lo-po 440 with the 440 whiplash and it is a beast on the street but well mannered in traffic.

IMHO, I would leave it bone stock as is only swapping out the springs & cam. I would use a Hughes flat tappet whiplash 318 cam. it will work with stock low comp/verter/gears/wakes it right up and sound good. cheap and very stock friendly.

there are a few tricks to make a stockish 318 run good. I just did one up for my son but it is a little better being a roller cam block.

for free HP we home ported the #302 heads and open the bowls up and cleaned the runners up a little. gasket matched the intake ports, then open up the exhaust runner and bowl.

for the biggest gain we did the 3 angle VJ 60*/45*/30* and then did a 30* back cut on all the stock valves. hit the tops of the guides to remove about .050 for a little extra clearance on the high lift roller cam.

full groove main bearings to oil rods full time with a set of .030 pistons turned backwards for piston offset change.

drill oil pump, #5 main cap to 1/2" and gasket matched/blend turns, drilled block oil passages to 1/2" added 4 extra holes in the filter plate, drill feed to oil galley to 9/32, drill 1/16 hole in galley plug and cam thrust plate for full time oil to chain. using a chain tensioner/stock link chain.

recurved dist with Mr.Gasket mopar spring kit 925-B both springs all in by 1200 rpm (this is the biggest bang for the buck as the only change to a stock 318 and where to start tuning.

went with the Hughes 5.9 roller whiplash with comp 901-16 springs on this one because we like the 318 roller whiplash but wish it sounded a little more like my 440 does. I think it is going to be what we want. we can always swap on a set of 360 heads with it.

best part is a comp 901 springs drops on with stock seals retainers/works with the whiplash cam specs/spring & cam change with heads on engine.

a weekend with gasket set/springs/cam and your done and cruzing.