Originally Posted by Runner2go
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
The drone ship uses a satellite link to send footage back. The turbulence from the exhaust rocks it enough that it loses it's connection. It dies on pretty much every drone ship landing.

... and why am I not surprised... someone has made an entire video about this laugh2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH75bVG7HBo

Here's a land-landing with pretty good footage. https://youtu.be/SlgrxVuP5jk?t=1255

Ok I watched both and the 2nd one was pretty cool...

But it doesn't explain what we all saw today... Getting from cloud level to siting on the platform in about 10sec.
In the video you provided it took 2 1/2 min to land, after the 1st time it re-fired the rocket to slow it down
And a full 40seconds to land after re-firing the rocket the 2nd & final time...
No matter how you look at it, that's a heck of a lot longer than today's 5-10sec signal lost message.

Now I wish I would have hit "record". laugh2

Yes, the timing looked odd, but then nobody over the years seems to complain about the broadcast audio from the Nascar live action "IN CAR Cameras" is pre-recorded, as from the words years back of an Emmy winning Audio Broadcast mixer, who will remain nameless. I can see the need for positive optics in such a high profile event, I mean this was only the third sitting President in history to view a manned launch in person, that it could be rationalized showing a taped segment of the the touchdown of a similar event. I wouldn't do it, but heck the nation is in need of something going right. In war, truth is the first causally thinking.

However, I was watching the boosters "correction" thrusters on TV live as it was descending, and depth perception of course was very difficult to ascertain, and as the booster descended to the clouds, I was very amazed how much angle the thrusters were correcting the booster relative to the clouds, in that it was an awful lot, or it was very close to the cloud cover, what we don't know is, at what altitude was that cloud cover, and as I suspect, visuals play little role in the touchdown, and because of the timing, 5? sec might have what it was. I don't know.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.