Mr. Pink, you might have your facts confussed. I will try to explain and clear things up....

Absolutly NOTHING collasped while I was installing the bearing. What you might be thinking of is the shaft collasping when I put it upright on the floor to put the crumple can on. I tried hammering it to get it closer before using the nut. I had already stripped one shaft threads off becasue I tried to use the nut to pull it down. This was the second shaft and I didn't want to strip it too. It's a tapper fitting. That is one of the reason I took it completely apart to check everything.

You can see that I clearly stated "Do not put the column on the floor standing up right to beat the (crumple) can on. The steering shaft will collapse. It's designed to do that in a crash." http://www.lamopar.com/How%20To%27s/Steering%20Column/pages/DSC01462_jpg.htm

You are right not to beat on the crumple can while the shaft is upright. However, if I had to do it again today I would still install the bearing the same way.

Last edited by CODY; 05/28/06 10:18 PM.