The NOS parts were very hard to find. I was lucky and was able to track down some at an affordable price. Do your best to keep the old ones in usable condition.

I was thinking that if I couldn't find the foam dust shield that I would use some stardard foam that comes on a roll with one side sticky from lowes or home depot.

Quote:

Great job Cody, thanks for taking the time and the trouble to post this.

I disassembled mine a few weeks ago, gonna get the parts powder coated (mine is 71, so no textured finish) before reassembling.

As far as how correct it is, here's my view.....anyone who cares enough to get it 100% correct should never rely on one article or one conversation. I would expect anyone who cares about that to do their homework. Actually that's what Cody did, as you can on his website.
I would never complain that I followed one guys article and it wasn't right - do your research and get other evidence. Even if that's what you want, Cody's article is an excellent reference, amongst others. Actually, that's why a web board is great cos others can add their evidence (like Snoopy did there), as long as it is constructive!!!!

On the other hand, if 100% doesn't float your boat, use what you like.

Anyway, great job!!!
I have some questions about parts ....where did you get the foam dust shield, the rubber O-ring, the new bearing and the new rubber. I was told some of these (e.g Oring & bearing rubber) were not avilable. Thanks!