Hi Gus, hope you’re enjoying your Sunday.
So I pulled the fuel bowls off, adjusted the seats/floats to starting point. Installed them and fuel level at site holes were at the bottom of the hole. Fires right up, idles ok, a little shaky, and I can drive it but still seems to be running rich, puffs of black smoke out of the exhaust now and then. Like I said I’m not a mechanic, far from it. I’m wondering if I should take off this Edelbrock 2191 manifold I bought and put the stock iron manifold back on? Is it possible that because the plenum on the Edelbrock is so tall that the carb is too far away from something that all the fuel is not being burnt?? Also, I tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws on either side per Holley’s manual, 1 1/2 out to start, then 1/4 turns in until the motor slows, then 1/4 back out and done. But ...... I did 1/4 turns in, both sides and went all the way in to seat position, made no difference on rpm’s of the motor, reason I’m asking if the carb is too high on the manifold.
I’m to the point of a stick of dynamite. Ran so good before I took it to a shop here for supposedly “replacement of the pick up coil in the distributor”!!! What a mess. I’m well aware that it’s not a good time for traveling etc, but if there’s any mechanics out there, in the Reno area, (closest) that are interested in coming to Bishop to work on this thing I can get a room for you plus your travel expenses and of course pay you for your time.

Thank you,
Bill