Originally Posted by Sixpak
Originally Posted by 440Always
So I finally had some time to work on this. I checked the fuel pressure, when I first started it, pressure was at 5-6 psi at idle. When brought the rpm up the pressure went up to past 10 psi, maybe around 12 but 10 is as high as the gauge goes. When I let off the gas the pressure went down to 4-5 psi. If the pump is working properly, should the psi be at 6-7 all the time, at idle and highway cruising???

THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. It sounds like whatever fuel pressure regulator you have is not working. Fuel pressure should never get above 6 PSI regardless of the engine rpm. If it's a mechanical pump I would replace that. If you have a carter electric pump it has no separate regulator so it would need to be replaced. Most Holley electric pumps have a separate inline regulator that can be rebuilt.

Exactly your problem, get a pressure regulator on that engine NOW!. You don't want your fuel pressure to exceed 6.5 pounds no matter what your RPMs are. Don't mess with anything else until you get the pressure corrected.

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!