Originally Posted by MarkM

If I remember correctly, Mopar never made a 727 in a /6 bell housing. They were installed behind /6 by means of a cast iron adapter. You should already have a V8 transmission then. It also sounds like you're more motivated by practicality and budget. If you're thinking of using a carb'd turbo setup then I really can't see the /6 being cheaper to run or build than a V8 - especially if you already have the transmission. It's going to cost the same for a base rebuild rebuild of either motor.

Outside of practicality and budget, I'm currently in the parts gathering phase to build a supercharged Ford I300 for my F150. A V8 would be cheaper, but not nearly as much fun for me, so I do understand.

in the 60s this was correct (no /6 727, had to use the V8 727 with adapter plate) but sometimes in the 70s they came out with a /6 specific 727. Have seen several of them. just surprised that it would still have been available that way into the 80s. this truck definitely has a 727, and there is no adapter plate.

part of the reason I'm thinking of keeping things this way is to be "different" Everybody has done the "yank it and throw a V8 in there", including me.... I have a couple of 318s and 360s (Magnums at that) here, and I even have a Motorhome 440 sitting here (would have to pull the trans apart and lose the E brake setup, swap output shafts and output housings on its trans) that I could drop in there, if I wanted to.... but there are other parts I don't have that would be needed that I really don't want to buy..... just "scoping this thing out" at the moment.