Originally Posted by volaredon
Please don't tell me to "junk it and go V8", been down that road before more than once. I have an 85 D150 long bed with the slant and a 727 (YES I know the difference between it and the 904) I was surprised to see that trans in there too) I have an extra slant here that I am thinking of building up to replace the original one-- extra slant is Forged crank, original one is cast. Debating on either a big block- shave to get closer to zero deck-- and RV type regrind of the existing cam, OR maybe a mild turbo. Planned use is to use the truck like a truck, and 3 season daily driver. Not building a race truck. Want to pull my popup in the summer with a bedload of typical camping gear, mostly flat ground. Rear end is 3.21 and I'd like to keep it. Looking for a little more zip. Have a super 6 stack I'd like to use with it too. Lean burn delete, vac advance. No fuel injection planned. Would like to stay carb'd for at least the time being
Thoughts? I'm thinking that if I stay with the slant the money I won't have to spend buying a V8 trans and rebuilding that plus a V8 radiator, motor mounts etc means a little more that I can put into the motor.

If I remember correctly, Mopar never made a 727 in a /6 bell housing. They were installed behind /6 by means of a cast iron adapter. You should already have a V8 transmission then. It also sounds like you're more motivated by practicality and budget. If you're thinking of using a carb'd turbo setup then I really can't see the /6 being cheaper to run or build than a V8 - especially if you already have the transmission. It's going to cost the same for a base rebuild rebuild of either motor.

Outside of practicality and budget, I'm currently in the parts gathering phase to build a supercharged Ford I300 for my F150. A V8 would be cheaper, but not nearly as much fun for me, so I do understand.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60