Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by Warhawk
Originally Posted by AndyF
I'd start with a 4.25 crank and Trick Flow 240 heads and go from there. Find a set of pistons that give you 9.50 to 10.0 for compression and then select rods that fit. I recommend a hyd roller cam for a street/strip type of engine, maybe something around 240@050. If you have the space I'd use a Trick Flow intake and then top it off with a Holley Sniper setup and a Holley Hyperspark distributor. An engine like that should make at least 600/600 for hp and torque and be very easy to drive on the street.

I have a copy of your book so dog-eared that I have to buy another. Best engine book I have read. I was also thinking of the Hyperspark and sniper. That would make a neat combination I think.

Thanks. If I updated that book today I would add a whole chapter on EFI and would highly recommend that everyone ditch their carbs and switch to a Sniper. I hate to see people spending $12,000 for a new 500 inch stroker engine and then wearing it out in a few thousand miles because their double pumper dumps so much extra fuel into the engine. I have an engine in the shop right now that was ruined by running rich. The customer said he only had 500 miles on it but it is wore out. He is switching to EFI.

It never ceases to amaze me, that after 50+ years of experience with today's carbs, people still spend mucho denero on parts and experts for their engines. Then turn around and slap on a $500 (or maybe $1,100) out-of-the-box carb and when it is not perfect for their combo, complain that carbs are obsolete and must be replaced by a $2,000 (or maybe $3,000+) obsolete version of EFI.

They would have the same complaints if they chose their cam, pistons, or converter the same way they chose their carb. If the same attention was paid to the choice of carb and tuner that is paid to the choice of cam or converter, there would be a lot more happy carb owners with a lot more money left to spend on other car parts.

The only thing wrong with today's carbs is unreasonable expectations. Guys expect an OOTB version to be right for their combo. But then, to me, the only thing wrong with today's EFI is it's additional expense for modest or non existent gains over a well tuned carb.

EFI has it's place. But since we are not all Andy or have unlimited budgets, carbs very much still have their place. To " HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT EVERYONE DITCH THEIR CARBS AND SWITCH" to any of today's EFIs is a disservice to many on this forum. It does not accurately reflect where technology stands today. With either the carbs or the EFI.

For some, Andy for instance, EFI and engine management systems are the logical choice. Just as it is for today's vehicles. Although today's vehicles use very different forms of EFI from the obsolete version most of us would install. But for most of us mere mortals retrofitting our dinosaurs, the only real advantage that sells the additional expense of EFI is the tuning. An un-tuned EFI is as bad (maybe worse) as an un-tuned carb. But EFI is expected to self tune. And sometimes it does. But have ThumperDart or someone like him (I know, I know, there is no one else like him) tune the carb for the combo and the real waste of the extra money spent on today's retrofit EFI is evident.

Master, again and still