All of the 295/50s that I have been able to find info on have either a 400 or a 440 tread wear rating. Both of the Coopers have the same tread wear rating. I know that the rating is only applicable in comparison to other tires within that brand and that they have no bearing across brands. But in most cases, a 400 is likely to be softer than a 500 regardless of brand. Now one 400 from one brand may be harder or maybe softer than a 400 from another brand, but without some personal testing or info from someone who has tested, it is a crap shoot. And I would be surprised if one brand's 400 was much better or worse than another brand.

So, without better info from a reliable source, price will probably rule. $250 +/- will buy a pair of import 295/50s including shipping. Unless some more info comes up, I will probably try a pair of some of these cheap offerings and see what I can do with them. At the very least, they'll be fun to burn down.

I am a bit surprised that there is not more of a consensus on one softener vs another or one tire vs another. If there had been, my job would have been easier. But it seems that many guys have been happy with a variety of products. Maybe that means that they are all good. Maybe.

Master, again and still