Originally Posted by GY3
IMO, there are other areas to work on instead of using softener.

We do some of these street style races that require true street radials.

We run a Mickey Thompson S/T 275/60/15 street tire (look the same as the Coopers) with 400 treadwear marked on the side set at 20 psi

Cal-Tracs help as does leaving in 2nd gear (manual valvebody) and weight in the trunk just ahead of the rear bumper. We use 110 lbs. and have run a 1.72 60 ft. Not great, but not spinning, either!

Weight is key to making this work as I know some of the cars that win our local events use up to 300 lbs. in the trunk! Getting high up and as far back as possible works best. Think shopping cart handle.

Going to do ALL of that, too. I have Cal-Tracs which I will have to re-tune, of course. And plan to leave in second. I have some weight that I can add. And I have 295/65 drag radials on there now, so I plan to use a 295 street tire. Although they are hard, I assume 295 street tires ought to have a bit more bite than 275s. Unless there were some much softer 275s that would fit the rules.

Either on here or on the tire section of the 'bullet are there any consistent tire recommendations. If there are no clearly better choices, I probably will go with one of the cheapest tires. Although that is not the way I would prefer to make this decision, so far I haven't come across any firm reason to spend more money.

I have never used a tire softener before. It is just one more thing to try. Some guys swear by it and there are a lot of products, some of which have been around a long time. And being as expensive as they are, someone must think they work to keep spending the money on them. Besides, so far, I haven't read any negatives to using them.

Heck, if the softeners are good enough for go-carts, they should be good enough for my Cuda. grin

Master, again and still