Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Would not bother with the aluminum piece, especially for that money. The case is usually not the weak point anyway. I've fooled with a few of those in the past and didn't particularly care for them. Bearing bores were tight and some other issues IIRC.

Nodular iron 489 is available all over for less than $300. That would be my choice.

Actually my first choice would be a 9, but that's me. Second choice for your 8.75 deal would be an aftermarket case and housing, but then you're still stuck with the gear options - or lack thereof. Leave the old OEM stuff for the restoration and stock chassis guys.

My Demon had a 9", never want to go THAT route again.... geez!!!! It taught me Ford 9" rears are good so long as everything "Ford" is removed from the center section!!! I have a 9" in a brandX car, the center cost a lot more than a couple of MP aluminum housings!!!

I might still try a Nodular, but the 8 3/4 rear is going to get a tryout for sure. I've always had good luck with them. Knock on wood.....

CrAzYMoPaRGuY