Originally Posted by poorboy
I think I'd want to know if the front suspension could handle the additional weight. Then again, if you got rid of all the computers and wiring, maybe there wouldn't be much weight difference. work

Then the next deal would be the brake system. You will need to reroute all the brake lines to eliminate the computer controlled anti lock brake system currently on the car. Its not like the early days when you just bypassed the thing above the rear end and ran a single line to the rear axle. you get to start at the master cylinder and work from there. My concern would be if these massive brakes will work without all the computer assist.
Beyond that, everything electrical inside the car has to be changed to old school. You might want to look at a flood car, clean up the body, trash everything inside of it, and build from there.
Then, as long as you can drive it where you don't need to pass any kind of vehicle inspection or emission testing you might be OK, because it would never pass the visual inspection, let along an actual emission test.

Of course, when you do this, we will all want to watch the process in pictures. Then we will be able to decide if we want to put this muck work into a project like this. Gene

Lots of good points here.

A 440 is a big heavy chunk of metal but where there's a will.... Clearly not an aftermarket off the shelf fix but maybe talk to AlterKation and see what they think. I'm thinking maybe autocross parts or transplant springs from a [diesel] truck. Also raises the question of how much real estate you've got under the hood. If you could shoe horn an aluminum block G2 Hemi in there that would probably solve the weight problem. It wouldn't have the curb appeal of an RB but a stroked 360 LA would be smaller and lighter and not exactly anemic if built right.

I don't think brakes would be a major problem. If you were doing a 50 yr old Challenger you'd likely end up running all new lines away. Somebody else made the point that it's still just a hydro system and see also: Wildwood. Pretty sure their typical restomod formula is big rotors, big calipers, generic booster, no electronic voodoo.

As for street legal, clearly forget about it if you're California or NJ or a lot of other places. I think you'd be ok from a vehicle safety inspection perspective - lights, horns, wipers, tires, brakes, exhaust. I am positive that PA gives you a pass on the emissions based on mileage since last test - I see the exempt stickers on late model stuff routinely.

So far I'm not hearing a good reason not to or how it isn't doable.