Originally Posted by polyspheric
We keep coming back to this. Not keeping your word is not fraud, deceit, or a crime of any kind despite what the police suggest.
Let me explain "theft by deception":
That's where you provide proof that the person you contracted already knew in advance:
1. he is going to steal your parts
2. he knew what he told you to be false, intended to overcome any hesitation on your part, and without which you would not have given him the work
3. and keep the money
4. and reject any communication

Do you have this proof?

-Very good points Poly. One way to help (but still not guarantee an easy task) in situations like this is to get a detailed quote for goods and services signed by both parties prior to any custom work started and to mutually sign a contract based on that quote. It can be a PITA, but any considerable amount being spent for work like this from strangers almost warrants this. I buy stuff online too with a CC sometimes...because it's convenient.
It is far easier to pursue contractor fraud in Court with a mutually signed contract not being followed than it is relying on word of mouth, thoughts, "understandings"etc. Emails are helpful sometimes if the communication was clear enough.
The whole idea is to strip away the defendant's ability to disprove negative intent. Sad it has to be like this, but that's the world we live in. In the area where I work at least, with documentation like this charges are filed regularly.