Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Wow, I've never heard that about 5.2's. Heard of issues on the 4.7's, and of course cam/lifter issues on 5.7's, but never common issues with oiling and sludge on 5.2's. I always seemed to be workhorses. Is this magnums only?

Magnums.

Saturday I will look at the 5.2 blocks to see the casting dates. Both were sludged up pigs. I still have the oil pump from the one that we pulled from a friends Dak that locked up 4 times coming from Spokane WA to Seattle WA, 275 miles.

My son's 1996 Jeep Grand with the 5.2 has done this a few times but we caught it and shut the engine off as soon as the Idiot light came on. As soon as it cools down and we restart it, it has pressure. Towing a U-haul car dolly with a 1988 New Yorker on it we were stuck in traffic and it was 75F outside. The engine temp was a bit on the high of normal, NOT overheating. We had gotten up to 15 MPH when the Idiot light came on and the engine made a slight shudder and my son killed the ignition and popped it into netural. It happened twice that day. Both times the oil level was at the full mark but the second time I added 1 quart of 5W30. Jeep has 196K miles. Bought it with 155K on it so unknown maintenance before.

Retired, US ARMY 1973-1994
ASE mechanic, Electrical 1994-1997
Retired GTE/VERIZON/FRONTIER 1997-2015

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

03 Suzuki Burgman 650(Burger King) Scooter
65 Formula S Cuda
78 Little Red Express Truck
98 Buick Regal (wifes car)