Moparts

Truck Recommendation

Posted By: OrangeProwler

Truck Recommendation - 12/12/19 02:25 PM

So, I've been doing some window shopping and looking for some input. I've been looking at various trucks both newer and vintage. The choices that seem to lure me back on the 1987 Dakota with the 3.9L V6, the 1992-96 Dakota Club Cabs with the 318, and 1997-1999 Dakota Club Cabs also with the 318. Just wondering what your thoughts and opinions are regarding these trucks? Are they good buy? Some of the lower mile ones are priced at $4k or so. To be honest I'm kind of gravitating toward the 1997-1999 models. I mentioned the '87 Dakota because I drove one years ago all bone stock. Rode nice and did what I asked it but, kind of small. The '87 is still somewhat old school with regards to some things.

The other options I'm considering is 81-93 Ram trucks in 2wd long bed configuration but, realize they're more old school than the Dakota slightly. Mainly thinking a 318 if I went this route. The only problem with these trucks is finding some parts now and prices due to the Cummins swap crowd. Anyways, just wanted to see what others thoughts are as I'm just thinking out loud. Out of all these I'm leaning toward a nice 1997-99 Club Cab 4x4 with 5.2 and auto? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/12/19 05:17 PM

I had a '92 CC Dakota, 5.2 I bought in '93 as a lemon buy back with 9K miles on it. That truck literally went through hell and back for 450,000 miles before I sold it, still running and driving.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/12/19 06:50 PM

Things to remember on these era tight engine compartment trucks is oil pumping issues. Many 5.2's are junk from running a bit hot and the oil pump goes into bypass and the engine oil light comes on. If your running at 75 MPH when it looses oil pressure....
I've taken valve covers and intake manifolds off to find 2 inchs of coked oil. We even pulled one apart that had a snapped camshaft due to binding in sludge.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/12/19 10:33 PM

Wow, I've never heard that about 5.2's. Heard of issues on the 4.7's, and of course cam/lifter issues on 5.7's, but never common issues with oiling and sludge on 5.2's. I always seemed to be workhorses. Is this magnums only?
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/12/19 11:15 PM

I have owned several D/W trucks, and 87-96 Dakotas, still have a 96 4wd club cab, have my 1st 99 Dakota now. I have heard lots of "no oil pressure" horror stories on these trucks. but I have never experienced anything like that, on any of them I have had. I also have an 01 Durango. I have not seen this on any of mine, all were well used when I got them, all of mine were super clean under the valve covers. given the size of the sump on the pans, and the size of the oil pickup screens compared to older LA series engines I can see partly why this might be an issue, especially on not-so-well maintained versions.
Having said that, growing up my Dad had a couple of carbd LA 360 powered vehicles that were REALLY BAD with sludge. a 78 Monaco wagon being among the worst of them. again we found out the PO didn't do much maintenance on it. but even in the 'yards, it seemed I saw more sludged 360s than 318s for some reason?

though I had this one 318, '73 motor that came to me in a 67 Barracuda that was solid sludge in the valley all the way to the underside of the intake, I had never seen anything like this one. The PO of that Barracuda had told me that he had gotten that car without any engine (orig 273 car) and this 318 was an engine he got from a boneyard just to get the car mobile under its own power.....

and of all the trucks I have had, and having looked at potentially buying something more recent, (to which I said "NO WAY") I am looking for another D/W series truck with a solid body and frame. I miss my old "square bodies". Still better trucks, than what you can buy today. being the newest D/W are now 26 years old, just a matter of finding a clean one.
Posted By: rhad

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/13/19 04:03 AM

i have a 03 club cab 3.9 v6,its a good truck,as im pretty crippled up im considering selling it and getting som,ething i can get into easier

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/13/19 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Wow, I've never heard that about 5.2's. Heard of issues on the 4.7's, and of course cam/lifter issues on 5.7's, but never common issues with oiling and sludge on 5.2's. I always seemed to be workhorses. Is this magnums only?

Magnums.

Saturday I will look at the 5.2 blocks to see the casting dates. Both were sludged up pigs. I still have the oil pump from the one that we pulled from a friends Dak that locked up 4 times coming from Spokane WA to Seattle WA, 275 miles.

My son's 1996 Jeep Grand with the 5.2 has done this a few times but we caught it and shut the engine off as soon as the Idiot light came on. As soon as it cools down and we restart it, it has pressure. Towing a U-haul car dolly with a 1988 New Yorker on it we were stuck in traffic and it was 75F outside. The engine temp was a bit on the high of normal, NOT overheating. We had gotten up to 15 MPH when the Idiot light came on and the engine made a slight shudder and my son killed the ignition and popped it into netural. It happened twice that day. Both times the oil level was at the full mark but the second time I added 1 quart of 5W30. Jeep has 196K miles. Bought it with 155K on it so unknown maintenance before.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/13/19 08:53 AM

I have seen this twice in my years at a dealership. The oil pump screen getting clogged with sludge on a magnum. I believe this is from letting a blown out plenum gasket go too long and probably a little lack of regular maintenance. My 450K mile 5.2 was clean as a whistle but i kept up on the maintenance and replaced the plenum gasket twice I think.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/13/19 02:04 PM

Thank you all. I was surprised to here that about those issues with 5.2 Magnum engine but, not surprised if the plenum is let go and poor maintenance. The ones I've been looking have been lower mileage ones when I can find them. Those seem less beat, hot rodded, ragged out. I've seen a couple with 120k and under just hard to find. Actually, I can find (for now) more D/W Trucks which is the other option I might consider. My biggest gripe with the D/W series is rust especially if you get a water leak but, they are more simply in some ways too. I mean a I like them but, some parts are getting harder to find but, I guess they are with the any Dakotas as well. Anyways, thank you all again and the information here is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you have anything else to add.
Posted By: jerseybud

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/13/19 10:58 PM

They made a lot more Dakotas than d/w series. And for that reason getting parts is a tad easier. Try finding a catalytic convertor for a 92-93 d150, or worse, a y pipe.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/13/19 11:00 PM

Yes, you'll have a lot more trouble finding an earlier D/W that's not rusted out, but they sure are durable and easier to work on. I had to go out west and ship mine to me in Florida but I got a rust free '79 Power Wagon that way.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/14/19 03:04 AM

Yes, you'll have a lot more trouble finding an earlier D/W that's not rusted out, but they sure are durable and easier to work on. I had to go out west and ship mine to me in Florida but I got a rust free '79 Power Wagon that way.

And you can crawl into the engine bay to work on the D/W trucks, even with a Big Block.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/14/19 07:22 AM

I love my D250 and my W200 but keeping them going and every thing working can be a challenge at times. My D250 is my daily driver so I want it to be in good mechanical condition and at least the interior in good clean condition. The outside is not as high of a priority. laugh2

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/14/19 04:49 PM

Thank you again everyone. In scouring craigslist and eBay it's weird I haven't found many Dakotas left over or at least nice lower mileage ones. The funny thing is you would think there would be more Dakotas and in fact, I see more D/W Series trucks for now on Craigslist and elsewhere. Anyways, thank you all again.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/15/19 07:36 PM

The only time I've heard about oiling issues on a Magnum was when it didn't have proper maintenance, unlike the 4.7's that seem to sludge up regardless.

As for parts being easier to get for a Dakota.......have you looked recently? A number of items I saw for sale just over 4 yrs ago are now no where to be found. Case in point, the factory style steel core gaskets used on the engine. Now only cork (if that) is available. Once anything gets to the 25yr point, parts are gone which really sucks because thanks to fuel injection and modern lubricants, a lot of vehicles will easily go 200+K miles.

(I own a '93 Dakota 3.9)
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/15/19 09:46 PM

A little over a year ago, I was facing the question of what kind of truck to buy. I shopped and shopped.....and shopped some more!!! The objective was to find a gas powered truck for occasional use. (Typically 5,000 to 7,500 miles per year.) I wanted a truck that would last for 10+ years, so the condition of the body was real important. I could not find anything, anywhere that really looked good.

I began by looking at trucks that were 10 - 15 years old. Most of those trucks had 100,000 + miles and were priced between $10,000 and $15,000.. A truck that age could begin having rust problems at any time. (Some of the trucks already had rust issues!) If the truck had been abused, it could give mechanical problems. I just couldn't justify paying that much for such a truck.

Then I looked at trucks that were 3 - 5 years old. These had much lower miles and were generally in better condition. Prices began in the high teens and went up from there. I thought these were a better deal financially, but that is a LOT of money for a truck that will only be driven occasionally.

I considered buying an enclosed utility trailer to pull behind the wife's SUV. Those looked like a decent deal, but my wife wanted a truck. Her reasoning is that we should have three vehicles in case one of our primary vehicles breaks down. (She HATES being stuck at work without a vehicle!) She has a point, so I went back to looking for a truck.

I finally bought a 1980's D150. It was a decent deal and is a decent truck. It's had a lot of little issues, since it has not been driven much for years. I'm slowly getting the "bugs" out of it. Overall, it is a good truck and was good choice. A few observations:

1. Parts are available, but the local parts stores here in "Podunkville" do NOT stock the parts. Ordering the parts typically takes 3 days. This may not be a concern in more populated areas.
2. The wait for parts would be a problem if it were a daily driver.
3. It's a gas HOG!!!
4. The truck can get stuck easily! I wanted a 4x4, but my elderly father would have difficulty climbing into one of those! I'm hoping a sure grip axle will solve the truck's poor traction problem.

A 3.9 Dakota would have been a better choice in many respects. Better gas mileage for sure!

Edit:
In a couple of years, I may put antique tags on this Dodge. (The need for a truck will likely be declining with time.) Having the option of lower cost antique tags and insurance was another reason for going with the older truck.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/15/19 11:29 PM

My view on trucks; I worked hard to find my rust free '79. I knew I could keep it rust free, and that mechanically, it was always easier to fix than it was to replace steel and have body work done. I'd even rather put a new crate engine into a solid body than have a great running truck full of rust. Fortunately, my truck ran great too, just needed lots of gaskets. My truck has 31" tires, and 3.2 gears so gas mileage is not awful, 4WD and all. It is a factory 360-4, so if get into the pedal it will suck gas, so I try to stay off it.

As far as parts, I always try and stay a step ahead by replacing what I know is old prior to it failing (e.g. the alternator, coil, belts, etc.). I only use quality parts or have a local reputable shop rebuild. Doing it prior to failure, such as I did with alternator eliminates down time. I also watch ebay for NOS parts that are a good buy, and try and stock them myself. twocents

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/16/19 01:18 AM

My view on trucks; I worked hard to find my rust free '79. I knew I could keep it rust free, and that mechanically, it was always easier to fix than it was to replace steel and have body work done. I'd even rather put a new crate engine into a solid body than have a great running truck full of rust. Fortunately, my truck ran great too, just needed lots of gaskets. My truck has 31" tires, and 3.2 gears so gas mileage is not awful, 4WD and all. It is a factory 360-4, so if get into the pedal it will suck gas, so I try to stay off it.

As far as parts, I always try and stay a step ahead by replacing what I know is old prior to it failing (e.g. the alternator, coil, belts, etc.). I only use quality parts or have a local reputable shop rebuild. Doing it prior to failure, such as I did with alternator eliminates down time. I also watch ebay for NOS parts that are a good buy, and try and stock them myself. twocents

You sound like me. I would much rather have an older truck with a solid body and frame and stockpile common parts as a deal comes up. I've had several D/W trucks in the past, I looked at a 2018 1500 earlier this year even a work truck "tradesman" would be 7 years of payment, no freaking way I'm doing this.

And for the previous post about the 3.9 in a Dakota being "much" better on gas, some of them are others not so much. Or "by"much. My 318 Dakotas have been within 1-2 mpg of my 3.9 ones.
On the D150 being a gas hog I've had seemingly identical trucks that varied widely in that department. All I can say is make sure the tune is right, vacuum advance works, no vacuum leaks, carb is set up right, exhaust isn't plugged, and make it the best it can be for what it is. Infrequent usage and short trips isn't the recipe for gas mileage no matter what you drive.

I so badly want another rust free D or W 250. I wish Dodge still made them like this. At least chassis suspension and frame wise.
Plan B. Is to look for a clean B can. I've had a couple of those over the years.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/16/19 02:12 AM

And for the previous post about the 3.9 in a Dakota being "much" better on gas, some of them are others not so much

My '93 with 187K miles on it's 3.9 gives me consistent 15-16 MPG in almost 100% in town driving. Back in May when I drove the truck 100 miles north of here, it came real close to averaging 20 MPG. From what I've seen/read, that's pretty much what it advertised as when new

Not a Honda in terms of MPG by any stretch of the imagination, but it's consistent and much, MUCH better than what my '02 RAM 1500 with 4.7 gave me. For how much I drive, I can live with it.

Attached picture AS1.jpg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/16/19 02:55 AM

I live where the weather in the winter gets cold, and the summer gets hot.
I've had (3) 3.9 Dakotas.
One 1990 standard cab, long box, 2wd with a 5 speed. That Chassis is under my 48 Plymouth coupe and gets a consistent 17 mpg mixed city and highway, and a consistent 20-22 on the highway at 60-65 mph. It normally gets driven when the outside temps reach above 40 degrees.
The second Dakota was a 93 standard cab, long box, auto trans, 4x4. Most of its driving was in town, during the winter, with temps anywhere between -20 and +40 degrees. Because it was primarilly driven in the winter,and used around town, it spent much of its driving time before, or right up to the point, the motor reached operating temp before it was shut off only to sit until it was completely cold again. That one got a pretty consistent 10-13 mpg. The few times it was driven on the highway, it got 16-17 mpg at 65 mph. If you drove faster, the mpg dropped like a rock.
The 3rd Dakota is a 96 extended cab, short box, auto, 2wd. This one is mostly a winter ride as well, and spends most of its time in town. It also gets between 10 and 13 mpg. Mileage drops to that 10 when the outside temp drops.
Sometime this summer I intend to put a 49 Dodge truck sheet metal on a 93 Dakota chassis with the 96 318, OD auto, 4x4 drive train (I have 44K mile drive train donor with a rotted out frame, and 93 rolling frame that came with the sheet metal.) I expect I will probably get in the 13-17 mpg range. That truck will be a year round driver. I don't generally get trucks to use for their gas mileage, I tend to use them as trucks and the gas mileage is secondary. Gene
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/16/19 09:04 PM

I did not realize the V6 Dakota's might drink that much fuel. I thought those trucks typically got closer to 20 mpg. It sounds like the mileage can vary considerably.

My D150 only got 10 mpg on the one tank I checked. That tank was used for mostly short trips with plenty of starting, stopping and some idling time. Often the choke probably never even opened. I was not expecting it to be very good. It's a typical 318 / automatic truck with 2.94 gears. It escaped from the factory without the "lean burn" system or the lock-up torque converter. When it is driven on longer trips it will hopefully use a little less fuel. Obviously, it will never be an economy vehicle.

The D and W series trucks I've driven have typically been 3/4 ton, 4x4's that got 10-12 mpg. The EPA rates my current truck at either 12 or 14 mpg. I have not found what made the difference in the rating. Perhaps it was the axle ratio, but it could depend on whether or not the truck had the "lean burn" system. The 2.71(?) axle ratio was standard. The 2.94 and 3.21 ratios were optional.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/17/19 12:25 AM

my last 83 D 250 (318, 727, 3.55) got me 13 on a "bad" day in town. usually closer to 15.
my 88 D100 (318 TBI, shortbed, changed from 904 to 518 myself in effort to increase MPG, wasted effort) got me 10 on a GOOD day, 12 on the highway with a 60MPH tailwind. worst MPG truck I have ever owned.

my 81 W150 (318, factory TQ, 727, 3.21 gearing, 33" tires, longbed reg cab) was surprisingly fantastic on gas, that thing would get me 21 consistently on the highway, 16ish in town.

my 87 B 250 window van (318, last year for carb, lean burn, 904) would get me 21 on the road when not running AC, 19-1/2 when I did, yet my Dad's twin (only difference was his was '86) would get 13 no matter what.

even my 78 D300 (360, granny gear 1st, unknown gear rear, dually) was better on fuel than my 88. Not by much but it was/ and considering it weighed nearly double what the 88 did was surprising to me.

I have also had a 90 longbed Dakota 2wd (pre magnum V6) quite consistent 16 in combo driving, 20 on the road)
best Dakota for MPG was my 93 318 club cab, converted to 5 speed by me, never got worse than 18.

94 reg cab/shortbed 3.9, usually 14-15, best of 17.
my 99 club cab (same engine) is pretty much 17 no matter what/ other than when pulling my popup, when it says "HELP ME!!!!" I wouldn't want to take that one camping in the hills/mountains..... good thing I live in the flatlands.....does OK when not towing as a daily, still a bit weak on power (in my opinion) in that instance.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/17/19 01:58 AM

Gas mileage is a funny thing. I can get consistently better gas mileage then my wife ever gets, driving the same vehicle, and I usually don't try to get the best gas mileage. My right foot appears to be quite heavy at times (OK, often times..)

In the early years of EPA mileage numbers, I believe the EPA was pretty generous with the numbers they handed out. Don't know many people that ever got within 2-3 mpg of what the EPA said something would get. I believe originally, the EPA mileage numbers were intended to be used for comparison with similar vehicles. You could look at all the truck numbers for a specific year and get an idea how the different trucks would compare. I also don't believe the EPA numbers were based on any scientific test, but more on lab tests.
I think the more recent numbers may be closer to reality, but maybe not. Gene
Posted By: GibW340

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/17/19 04:09 PM

My 95 short bed auto averaged 18-19 mpg the entire 8 years I drove it- ( had 82 K when bought it- 96 K when I sold it= sold it last summer but shouldn't have- Just used it to haul bicycle around mostly/ Came close to 20 mpg a couple times

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/17/19 08:47 PM

You all know those highway numbers are done at a constant 45 MPH on rollers right?

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/18/19 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by GibW340
My 95 short bed auto averaged 18-19 mpg the entire 8 years I drove it- ( had 82 K when bought it- 96 K when I sold it= sold it last summer but shouldn't have- Just used it to haul bicycle around mostly/ Came close to 20 mpg a couple times

wow, you only put 14k miles on it in 8 years? I bought my 99 Dakota back on 6/1 of this year, and already have more than 14k miles on it since I got it.... and that's even with me and the wife switching off (we have 4 vehicles among us, so 2 are sitting at any given time) AND with the 99 sitting 2 weeks, while I collected parts and did the repairs from Bambi's banzai suicide jaunt out in front of me on a country road, a whole 10 days after I bought it....

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/18/19 03:03 PM

Thank you again everyone. Gas mileage isn't a top consideration. I figure if I can get over 11-12 mpg average I'm good. The only thing that I see with the D-Series trucks is some parts availability. For example no one has a brake booster and so now it has to be sent out for a rebuild service. The other thing is control arms. Most people want to lower their trucks and I don't. It's getting harder to find factory control arms brand new. The WSD stuff isn't that great of quality from what I understand. The other thing is some of the emergency brake stuff isn't available.

Regarding the body. The only way I would buy a truck is from the west or somewhere in the south. Prefer the west however. I'm hoping not to put a ton of miles on the truck anyway. I did consider a 3.9 Dakota but, I'm not sure. Anyways, time will tell what I end up with. Thank you for the thoughts and feedback. If you have anything else to add let me know. Thank you.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/18/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by RustyMopar01
Thank you again everyone. Gas mileage isn't a top consideration. I figure if I can get over 11-12 mpg average I'm good. The only thing that I see with the D-Series trucks is some parts availability. For example no one has a brake booster and so now it has to be sent out for a rebuild service. The other thing is control arms. Most people want to lower their trucks and I don't. It's getting harder to find factory control arms brand new. The WSD stuff isn't that great of quality from what I understand. The other thing is some of the emergency brake stuff isn't available.

Regarding the body. The only way I would buy a truck is from the west or somewhere in the south. Prefer the west however. I'm hoping not to put a ton of miles on the truck anyway. I did consider a 3.9 Dakota but, I'm not sure. Anyways, time will tell what I end up with. Thank you for the thoughts and feedback. If you have anything else to add let me know. Thank you.
Some of these parts are the ones I watch for NOS. As far as emergency/parking brake stuff for D/W trucks, I just replaced all of mine on my 1979 Power Wagon, and it was all available on Rockauto. www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1979,w150+pickup,5.9l+360cid+v8,1099841,brake+&+wheel+hub,parking+brake+cable,1696 up

Gas mileage has not bothered me one bit. I don't drive it daily, but frequently. I don't notice it to be sucking up the gas so much that it's ridiculous. I love driving the truck. It's tight, and a pleasure drive.

P.S. I just checked O'reilly Auto Parts and online shows they have remanufactured Power Brake Boosters for 70's D/W trucks. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...p-4wd?q=power+brake+booster&pos=1#rr

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/19/19 04:32 AM

Hello. What I mean is things like some of the emergency cable brackets that attach to the frame. I don't have part numbers on hand. The brake booster shows available but, I think some other guys said it wasn't available. As I said factory control arms are getting scarce but, hopefully someone will reproduce quality ones eventually. Thank you again though.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/19/19 05:00 AM

I just ordered a Reman'ed 1979 D150 brake booster (2 bolt master) from RockAuto. Its like $72 plus $16 core.
They have the 4 bolt master ones too.
Posted By: GibW340

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/19/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
Originally Posted by GibW340

wow, you only put 14k miles on it in 8 years? I bought my 99 Dakota back on 6/1 of this year, and already have more than 14k miles on it since I got it.... and that's even with me and the wife switching off (we have 4 vehicles among us, so 2 are sitting at any given time) AND with the 99 sitting 2 weeks, while I collected parts and did the repairs from Bambi's banzai suicide jaunt out in front of me on a country road, a whole 10 days after I bought it....

Wasn't my daily ride- used for occasional- sod, branches, etc- Was pretty much used to keep my bicycle in and haul to start of rides..... trying to live for ever- at least another year----

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/20/19 01:25 AM

Fortunately, booster is available as you know now up

The parking brake mounting brackets probably won't ever fail you. But you may still find those in a yard or used on ebay or here. Those were the only things that were still good on mine. The cables go but the brackets are thick metal with only surface rust.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/20/19 01:20 PM

Thank you. I see RockAuto is out of stock on the boosters now for both a '79 D100 or D150. That's okay though. Thank you again everyone and take care.

Re: Truck Recommendation - 12/20/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by RustyMopar01
Thank you. I see RockAuto is out of stock on the boosters now for both a '79 D100 or D150. That's okay though. Thank you again everyone and take care.

Opps. I just bought one for my 78 LRT. Going from 4 bolt master to 2 bolt. My OEM bladder is bad.

My LRT will never be a #1 show truck, it has a 1978 'W' 360 block in it so not numbers matching.

So I do have a smaller diameter but a bit deeper Vac booster from a 1985 OMNI that has the same firewall bolt sizes I think. I may just use that OMNI unit and sell this Reman'd one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums