Originally Posted by DaveRS23
. A mild 440 shouldn't 'need' an electric pump.

I have been chasing a problem with the motor laying over when the secondaries kick in. At first I thought it was spark. Adjusted the timing every which way, triple checked TDC and plug order. I have a Firecore RTR system in both my 440 Chargers. i swapped the distributor and coils, same issue. I didn't try swapping the engine harness.

I'm running a Eddy 800 CFM Thunder series. I swapped carbs with a buddy who has a 750 CFM Eddy. Same issue.

Swapped fuel pumps, same issue. Thought that I had a restriction between the tank and the pump so I mounted a two gallon gas can in front of the radiator and ran a hose from that, same issue. My mechanic buddy said maybe the hoses between the fuel pump and carb are collapsing, replaced both, same issue.

Installed a fuel pressure gauge and taped it to my windshield. While accelerating the pressure bounces around between 5.5 and 7. Smooths out a bit around 50 mph. Then when I press the pedal and the secondaries start to open she starts to sputter and then when I stab the pedal she just lays over and the pressure fluxuates between 2-7. If I keep the car in second gear it will still do the same thing.

I checked the fuel pump push rod, a Comp Cam rod. I had bought a NOS rod off a board member here. The NOS unit was maybe a 1/16" longer than the comp Cam rod so I install the NOS unit. It seemed like I was able to pick up a few mph's before she would lay over, but at this point I may just be fooling myself.

I have a video of the fuel pressure test run that I sent to an Mopar buddy who is also an engineer. He thinks I might be getting too much fuel.

I think I should pull the carb and disable the secondaries and then test the car. If i can get to almost full throttle or be able to stab the gas without getting a bog I would think that means lack of fuel. If I still get a bog then maybe try a fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by NHCharger; 08/12/19 03:49 PM.

My Dad always told me, when setting goals " avoid disappointment, aim low".