Originally Posted by Stanton
Originally Posted by BradH
Originally Posted by Stanton
Originally Posted by fuseable
I am using a .005 stainless shim between the gear and bushing. I started thinking about a shim and posted here , another member replied and has been doing this for some time and has not had any issues using one. I cannot remember the other member. I put one in in Feb. I haven't had the gear out to check it yet. My last Milodon bronze gear (prior to .005 shim) and the bushing where eating each other up. A place called the Shim Shack made up the shims for me, cost was not to bad, as I remember I had 6 run.

Well, I submitted a request for a quote and they came back at $10. each.. Not money well spent in my opinion when a 25 cent Torrington washer will do !!!

Bet it would cost me more than $10 to have someone machine my gear to use the $.25 washer, since I don't have the equipment to do it myself.

Maybe you need to make some friends !!! smile

I hear ya'. I lost my access to a Smithy when I moved my stuff out of a shared shop when my wife & I bought our house 20 years ago. Never thought I'd need to use it often enough to justify buying one for myself, and don't think that's really changed. It's only times like this where it would be handy to have it right there to knock out simple mods.