Originally Posted by dvw
Got it apart yesterday. Very little water in the pan, maybe 1-2 oz. It hadn't been run so it didn't mix with the oil. Checking the torque on the bolts they all were loose. I've never checked torque on disassembly before. But never had an issue either. Every stud I checked the moved 15 degrees at least. Pulled both heads as they both were loose. The was some pitting around the water jacket holes last time it was apart. Dropped the heads off at my Machinist. #6 chamber will get pressure checked. Going to weld up the pits and resurface both heads. The deck height on that rod is with-in .001" of install. Ill talk to Tom Molnar today about the rod for possible damage due to hydro-lock. Also going to call Mickey at Cometic . I used a different style torque wrench last time. Maybe I missed the setting?
Doug

the Cometics are almost the same trouble as a copper gasket...lol
A lot of big name engine builders now are silicone the water jacket holes, some even the whole gasket !
Personally ive only had trouble sealing the upper part on my cometics, and that's because of the Indy block shape of the passages. A little silicone seemed to seal it up. but you can clearly see the passage is right on the embossment. On my sons smallblock, every water hole got a smear of red silicone. No leaks so far...but fingers crossed.
At one point I was draining my water every time I put the car back in the trailer to make sure there would be no water leaks...lol

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....